Chapter twenty-three

(Niall's POV)

I stumble weakly into the kitchen, rubbing my hand down my face tiredly. I just woke up a few minutes ago, and my stomach was already growling and begging for food. I look at the clock on the microwave and realize it's almost noon. Oops. I guess I slept in pretty late.

Demi, Amy and I were up late last night watching a marathon of comedy films. I think they must've went home after I fell asleep on the couch in the middle of the third movie. Demi and Amy are literally my only two friends, but they're also the only ones that I need.

I open up the fridge and search for some breakfast, hoping to find some left over croissants or something. Nothing. Geez, why don't we have any food in this house? My stomach grumbles again. Well, if my parents refuse to buy decent food, I'll do the grocery shopping around here.

I grab my keys and decide to go to the grocery store. In my pajamas. Yeah, I'm too tired to change into my clothes anyways. I quickly glance in the mirror on the way out the door, ruffle my hand through my hair, then head to the car.

By the time I reach the store, my stomach is nearly screaming for a tiny bit of food. I get out of the car as quickly as I can and go into the tiny corner store, which is almost vacant. I walk in to the calming sound of faint radio music and workers mumbling to each other.

I immediately shuffle into the pastry aisle and find the best looking doughnuts available. This is actually a hard decision and takes me quite a while. Finally, I find a large box of some glazed ones with chocolate sprinkles and put them in my basket, then decide I should probably pick up some milk too.

As I turn the corner of the aisle, someone catches my eye. I quickly recognize him as the beautiful boy I met at the park yesterday. Liam. I've seen him at school a few times, but we've never really had a conversation until then. I smile widely and walk up to him, then tap his shoulder, making him turn around to face me.

Liam turns around and gives me a puzzled look, but then realizes it's me and he smiles, "Oh, hi Niall." he greets me.

"Small world, huh? We keep bumpin' into each other everywhere we go!" I tell him.

He nods, "Yeah, no kidding. It's not such a bad thing, though." he says, a small smile played across his lips.

My stomach flutters a little bit, like tiny little butterflies dancing around. Ugh, man up, Niall! I've come to terms that I'm bi, but butterflies is a little too girly, even for me!

"So, uh, how are you?" I ask curiously.

"Pretty good, I guess. How 'bout you?"

"I'm fine. Just hungry." I admit.

He laughs slightly. Oh my goodness... that laugh. It's so enchanting and charming. Even though it was just a chuckle, it was sort of captivating.

"I'm guessing you came here to get breakfast?" he asks finally. I realize I was probably staring at him for quite a while. My cheeks blush pink a little, but I try to hide it.

Just stay cool.

I nod, "Yeah. We have no good food at my house, so y'know, doughnuts it is!" I say lifting up my basket.

Liam smiles, "Oh, I see. So you came here to get doughnuts in your pajamas?" he questions, looking down at my plaid pajama pants and plain white t-shirt.

I blush even brighter, if that is at all possible, "Erm... yeah." I say, but it comes out like a question.

He chuckles deeply, "You're funny, you know that Niall?" he asks.