Chapter three

(Louis's POV)

The cold breeze whips against my face as I walk down the empty sidewalk, heading for the place I call home.  The sound of my shoes hitting the ground follows me all the way to my destination. I keep one of my ear buds in my ear, quietly playing my favorite song so I can barely hear it.

I sigh, thinking back to detention.  I lied to Harry but it's not like it matters.  When Saturday rolls around and detention is over, I'll never have to see him again.

But Alex isn't just this girl who I dated, Alex is my ex-boyfriend.   And no, I'm not bi-- I've never been attracted to a girl.  Never . . . with the exception of the girl I gave a daisy to that I picked on the playground back in primary school. Other than that, I've never liked girls.  Something about caked faces and curvy bodies and high pitches voices make me cringe.  But I haven't admitted that to anybody except myself.  

However, I'm 99% sure my parents have already figured it out. It's kinda obvious.

As I walk down the sidewalk, I find myself in deep thought.  I start thinking about my old love who I can't get over, and the fact that he still holds the key to my heart.

I met Alex last year when I went on vacation to Ireland.  Well, it wasn't really a vacation, I suppose. My family could never afford one nowadays, that's for sure.  We were really just visiting there because my father used to be a journalist, and he was doing a writing piece on the beauties of Ireland over Winter break.  Of course, that was before he got fired and our family became poor.

During the visit, we stayed at one of my mother's old friend's houses located in Ireland, and she introduced me to her son, Alex.  We got along from the beginning, and after a few days spent with him, I realized I had a crush on him.  I sound like a stupid school girl, right?  Admitting to myself that I was gay wasn't that difficult, actually.  It was a pretty easy process. I decided that love is love, no matter what gender.

When Alex told me that he was bi-curious and that he liked me, he expected me to hate him. "I wouldn't blame you if you beat me up," were his exact words.

Instead of punching him like he expected, I caught him off guard and planted a kiss right on his lips. After that, we spent every second together, and we managed to fall in love within the course of two weeks.

When I returned home, Alex and I decided to keep our relationship long-distance, and I was happy to do that.  We video chatted every night, and I started texting him and it was great, actually.

Our long-distance relationship lasted over three months, and I was thrilled when Spring break came around. I planned a secret surprise by visiting him in Ireland, using the money I saved up from working at a local bakery.

When I got there, I went up to his bedroom to surprise him.  Unfortunately, that's not what happened. . . the memory comes rushing back to my head. . .

I run up the steps to Alex's bedroom, blood pumping through my body at a rapid speed. 

I swing open his door, "Surprise!" I yell, a giant smile spread across my lips. My grin soon faded away. He sits on his bed with another guy, their lips pressed together in a mixture of tongue and lips and spit.  I freeze.  

"Louis . . . what're you doin' here in Ireland?" Alex asks me, pulling away from the red-headed boy who was just sucking off his face.

I choke down a few tears, "Making a mistake," I mutter before slamming his bedroom door, and I run down the stairs with tears streaming down my face.

I grimace in response to the heart breaking memory.  I haven't spoken to Alex since Spring break, and I'm terrified to talk to him again. I hate him so much because he cheated on me, but I also hate the fact that I can't get over him.