Chapter forty-two

(Louis's POV)

As the spectators start pouring into the auditorium one by one, there's still no sign of Harry. He won't answer his phone, either. Mr. Oliver left a few minutes ago to look for the Anchorage kids. Him a a few other teachers are searching all over school property. 

I look off the balcony to the distant auditorium seats. People file into the rows and take seats, chatting and talking about the musical. I recognize most of them from either school or from around town. I can't believe all of these people came here to see the musical.

Everything is going wrong . . .

"Louis, what are we going to do?"

"Louis?"

"How are we going to fix this?"

"Who's going to play Romeo?"

The tech crew's voices swarm around me in a confusing mass. I don't have time to pay attention to what they're saying. All I can think about is that I let everyone down.

I finally speak up, "I . . . I'm going backstage. I'll tell the cast that the show in canceled." I say solemnly. 

The tech crew all start talking at once, insisting that we can't just quit. They say that we've worked too hard on this to let it all go to waste. I honestly don't see how I have any other option, though.

"I'm sorry to let you all down," I interrupt in the midst of the chaos. "but I'm afraid we have no choice."

"We can't just give up!" one girl argues. They all nod and agree with her. I know giving up is a bad option, but it seems to be the only one. Giving up is never a good idea unless it's the only option.

"I wish we didn't have to, but it seems that this is the only way." I say sadly.

"But why don't you play Romeo, Louis? You know all of Harry's lines, and you obviously can sing." one boy points out. Once again, they all start talking at the same time, begging for me to play Romeo.

"I can't!" I groan, interrupting them again.

"Please, Lou? There's a full house waiting for us to preform," another girl asks. She flicks her head out towards the balcony. A sea of people sit in the red velvet seats, mumbling and talking amongst themselves. A red curtain hangs over the stage and the mellow yellow lights shine down. 

"We know you can do it," another boy smiles. 

I take one last glance over at the crowed. It's a full house. The way I see it I have two options. I either a, stop the musical and let those Anchorage kids get what they wanted, or b, take Harry's place and give it my best shot. After a few more glances at the crowed, then to the tech crew, who have worked so hard for this moment, I decide on the latter. 

"Okay, I'll be Romeo, but I don't have a costume." I rebuttal. They suddenly all sink, thinking it over, trying to find a solution. 

"We made extra costumes just in case Harry's got ruined! Of course, it might be a bit big on you since it was made to fit Harry, but it'll be alright. Follow me, hurry!" a girl beams, grabbing my wrist. 

"Wait, wait, what about the spot light?" I ask. "We still haven't fixed it yet."

A boy rolls his eyes, "It's okay, Louis, we'll figure it out in time. Just go get changed, now." he says. I nod and follow the girl down the staircase from the balcony, then go backstage. By the time I get there, the cast is in complete chaos. They're buzzing around and panicking, mumbling things to each other. Most of the cast are all huddled in a circle, pacing around the stage. A few of the people peek through the curtain, their eyes widening at the large crowed. Oh no.