ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ

21 November 2006
Approximately 3:00 P.M.
Kobe, Japan

“Remember to stay inside of the building. You may visit the planetarium at your own pace, but everyone should report to the cafeteria at 6 o’clock sharp. Please remain courteous and don’t…”

You looked around. It was Tuesday, so why the hell was the place so packed? You figured it would have been clear on a weekday, not so tightly knit with people the way it was.

The room was filled with chatter, making you place your earbuds in to drown out their voices. It’s not that it really bothered you or anything, you just didn’t want some old man to come up to you and spend the next three hours explaining the basic relativity of gravity. Again.

Occasionally, you would run into one of your classmates, who would wave to you before continuing on with their group of friends. You were okay with being alone for now. You did miss having those three idiots from the college with you, though.

At the feeling of a tap on your shoulder, you jumped, quickly removing the buds from your ears to turn. You saw one of your classmates behind her, her arms tucked in front of her nervously. It was the same girl who talked to you yesterday.

“U-Um, I hate to bother you, L/n-chan,” She said. “But, do you mind if I walk with you? I’ve just been seeing this sketchy guy walking around, a-and I think he’s following me.”

You frowned. “Yeah, of course. Are you alright?”

She nodded. “I-I’m just nervous,” She said. “I-If you want to know, he’s behind me, by the solar system,” She said quieter.

You flicked your eyes over your shoulder and felt your heart drop into your stomach. Sharp green eyes stared at you through strands of black hair. His scarred lips twitched into a smirk, and he slowly placed the pamphlet he was ‘reading’ down onto the table.

This was the same guy from the train station. Had he been following you this whole time? Who the fuck was he? Oh God, he wasn’t after your classmate.

He was after you.

You knew you should have turned and run away. This girl wasn’t a sorcerer. She could end up getting hurt.

But if you run, he would chase you. But why? What was the purpose of him chasing after you like this?
“L-L/n, we sh-should go,” The girl said, holding your arm. You didn’t budge as she tried to pull you back. Instinctively, you pulled her behind you as he stopped a few meters away.

“When they said a Grade 1 sorcerer, I didn’t expect a small little kid like you,” He said, rubbing his chin.

Your eyes widened. That voice…

“Come on, Y/n! It’s not safe here anymore!”

He grabbed your hand, pulling you from the seat. It was so sudden you didn’t have time to process, fumbling to grab hold of the weapon in your hands.

“I-Ira-sensei!? What’s going on?” You asked.

“They’re here, Y/n, you need to leave, right now!”

“Wh-what? Who’s here? Sensei?”

He stopped abruptly, shoving you behind his much larger frame. You held the back of his shirt, peering around his hips. A man stood in the hallway, alone. You felt a sense of dread wash over you, stomach churning with the anxiety of the unfamiliar face. A curse was draped across his shoulders, and his lips spread into a wide grin as he slid a long sword from inside of the curse.

“They didn’t tell me you had a kid. Didn’t pay for it either.”

“Y/n. Run.”

“You...you bastard!” You exclaimed, startling the teen girl behind you. “It’s you!”

“Eh?” He tilted his head, gaze heavy and lazy. “I don’t remember names, kid. Have we met before?”

“You’re the bastard who killed Ira-sensei,” You growled, the bag on your shoulder slipping down your arm and into your hands.

“Who?”

The words only fueled your anger. The girl gasped as you tossed your bag to the side, the chain in your hand rattling as it was brandished. At first, you were wary of the people around you; you didn’t want to cause a panic and disturb the peace of the planetarium. But now you saw that was not an option. Whoever this man might be, he didn’t come for peace, that much you could tell.

“Who the hell are you?” You demanded, the girl behind you tightening her grip on your uniform.

“Name’s Fushiguro Toji,” He stated, reaching to the curse draped over his shoulders. From its mouth, he pulled a long Katana out. As he did, you felt the effects of the cursed energy from it. So he was concealing the tools in the curse, which he ingested as Geto did. That’s why you didn’t see him as a threat in the beginning.

“And I’m here to kill you. You’ve got a pretty hefty bounty on your head right now: 3 million yen, to be exact,” He said. “My orders were to kill you and bring your body back.”

A 3 million yen bounty? For you? Who the fuck could have wanted you dead? Oh, no. This was bad. This was really bad.

“A b-bounty?” The girl behind you whispered. “L-L/n--”

“You need to get out of here,” You said. “Pull the fire alarm, get everybody out of this building. The authorities will immediately be alerted, so do it. And do it fast.” She hesitated before nodding.

“Y-Yeah...o-okay!” She said, letting go of your arm. The chain slid in your hands as you allowed the blade to drop towards the floor.

A moment later the screeching sound of the fire alarm blared around you. The people gasped in shock, quickly moving towards the doors. The faculty began evacuating, ushering everyone out of the exits. However, you and this man remained unmoving, glaring each other down; him with amusement, and you with annoyance and anger.

“You’ll have to forgive me,” He called over the chaos, grabbing his shoulder as he rolled it around. “I’m a bit older, and I’m not exactly one for killing kids. But the money’s good, so I’ll do whatever the hell they want me to.”

You widened your stance in defense, wrapping the chain around your arm. “I’ll only ask one question for your old man brain then,” You said. “Who put the bounty up?”

“Dunno. Some kind of organization,” He said. “I’m just here to kill you and collect your body. I don’t bother with tedious details.”

“Fine then,” You said. “If you want to kill me, then you’re going to have to catch me first.”

“Hmph,” He chuckled dryly, green eyes darkening with a threatening aura.

Then run, bunny rabbit.”