ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

17 August 2007
Approximately 1:21 P.M
Tokyo, Japan

⚠︎Spoilers for Ch 77⚠︎

“This was supposed to be a simple mission to exorcise a second-grade spirit!”

You stood numbly over the morgue table. You looked down at his pale body. The gash that ran from his jaw under his eye. Nanami was shaking, the cloth over his eyes no doubt shielding the tears that threatened to fall.

“You have to rest for now, Nanami,” Geto said softly, lifting the back over Haibara’s body. “Satoru will take the mission from here.”

“Can’t we just leave everything to him from now on?” Nanami said quietly.

Hey, Y/n-senpai! We heard what happened! Are you okay? You’re not hurt, right?”

Looking up, you met the worried brown eyes that stared at you. You flashed him a smile, a hand on the back of your head as you sat up straighter.

“I-I’m okay. Satoru and Suguru were hurt worse than I was, but, we’re all okay now,” You said. Haibara released a sigh of relief, seating himself beside you on the bench.

“I was so worried! I know you asked Nanami and me to help you, and we totally ditched on you!” He said. “I’m so sorry!”

“No, no,” You said, shaking your head. “It’s alright. None of us knew what was happening until it was already over with. Please don’t blame yourself.”

“You know, I’m really glad to have you as my senpai!” Haibara laughed. “You’re so kind!”

“Sometimes, kindness is the only way in this world,” You replied. “You should know, you’re very kind yourself.”

“Hey, Y/n-senpai, let me buy you something to drink. Is strawberry milk okay?” He asked.

You laughed a little. “Sure.”

“You know,” He said, standing up and entering some yen into the vending machine. “When I first saw you, I couldn’t believe it. You were so cool. I-I don’t know if you remember...but...I was in Nikko, the day that curse attacked.”

Your eyes widened. You quickly looked at him, only to see him smiling at you, holding the drink your way. You slowly took it, following his moves as he sat beside you. Haibara leaned back, extending his legs in front of him.

“I was only in middle school, but I saw you. You made sure everyone was okay before even thinking about your own injuries. In the gym, you helped that girl while you hung from the basketball rim. You were so strong. You were so brave. And the curse that was above the police officer....you didn’t even think twice of exorcising it, even though he had his gun pointed straight at you,” He said softly, a smile on his face as he looked down at the cola in his hands. “You’re the reason I wanted to be a shaman. It was like I was looking at a savior or something.”

“I’m no God, Yu-kun,” You said, closing your eyes.

“That may be...but...you’re an idol. My idol. I want to be just like you and Geto-san. You guys are awesome together!” He exclaimed, looking at you with sparkling eyes. “I can’t wait to be in the field with you!”

You looked over at him, smiling as you reached up to ruffle his hair, making him laugh.

“Don’t worry, I’m positive you’ll turn out even better than we will.”

“Y/n,”

Geto called your name, but you didn’t respond. He reached for your hand that you held over your wrist, gasping at the warm liquid dripping down your arm. He pried your hand away, looking at the gashes that formed in your skin from your nails. He looked at your face.

Dark circles under your eyes. Gaze lifeless and dull. Blank, emotionless eyes. Lips swollen and red from where you bite them. Your face was grief-stricken as you looked at the outline of the covering.

“Y/n…” He whispered.

“He didn’t deserve to die,” You mumbled, voice wavering. “He was pure-hearted. He was a kid. He had his whole fucking life ahead of him. Why did he have to be the one to die? He only wanted to help people! Why? Why the fuck are humans tearing each other apart?! Why the fuck are people trying to play God?!”

“Y/n,” Geto said, watching your tears roll down your face. Your eyebrows uplifted in distress, lips pilling into a wicked grin.

“Pigs. They’re all fucking pigs. Anyone who would fucking dare taint the pure-hearted. How could they? Tell me, Suguru, how could someone kill something so innocent?”

You turned your head to him, and that when he saw it. The last little bit of your composure drifting away. The facade you’d put up crumbled to the ground, and he could see it all. Just as he was, you were losing your way.

“...I don’t know.”

“The truth is, nobody does, and that’s what’s wrong with this world,” You said, raking a hand through your hair. “I’m going to show everyone why you cannot kill the pure-hearted. I’ll show them the consequences of when they do.”

“Y/n...do you see me as pure-hearted…?”

“You only want to create a world of non-shamans,”

His eyes widened. You knew what he said before?

“And, I don’t see anything wrong with that. Living in a world existing of only shamans would mean nobody would be cursed ever again. We could bring joy and peace to everyone who crossed our path,” You said. “And through the years, those who weren’t exterminated would convert, and we’d live in a lovely world. So yes, I do see you as a pure-hearted soul, Suguru. Because after all, we only want everyone to be safe, right?”

“Yeah,” He said. He grabbed your hands, lacing his fingers through yours. He kissed your forehead softly. “Let’s make a world where non-shamans don’t exist. Then, everyone will be safe because no curses will be born. We’ll eradicate the filthy people, and leave the pure.”

“We can do it, right?” You asked, resting your head against his chest. You took your hand from him, playing with the button on his uniform instead.

“Who do we start with?” He asked.

“I don’t know about you,” You said, making him look down at you.

“But, my family will be first.”