ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ

21 April 2006
Approximately 7:02 P.M
Tokyo, Japan

A knock echoed on the door. No response. The knob twisted, yet the door didn’t move. It was locked. Still.

You stepped back, eyebrows laced together with worry. You pressed his contact and held the phone to your ear. You could hear it ringing inside, but it was never answered. Slowly, you lowered the phone, ending the call. You wouldn’t leave another voicemail. Turning away, you walked away from Geto’s room.

Three days. Three days since he locked himself in his room. Three days since he stopped answering your calls. Three days since he’d last talked to anyone. He wouldn’t open the door for anyone, and you were getting to the point of breaking his door down if he didn’t do anything soon.

Ieiri looked up as you entered the classroom. She immediately saw the somber look on your face, and she frowned, looking over at Gojo. She stood up as you walked inside, offering her arms out. You walked into them, placing your head on her shoulder. She sighed softly, rubbing your back.

“I just want to make sure he’s okay,” You mumbled into her uniform.

“I know,” She said. “Just give him time, Y/n. He’ll come around.”

“Amanai was in his care,” Gojo deadpanned. “She’s dead. See it from his point of view.”

You pulled away from Ieiri, looking over at the white-haired male. He was slumped in his seat, leg extended out in front of him, arms resting on the desk as he stared blankly at the blackboard. His eyes seemed a little less bright since he and Geto returned with the body of Amanai, but unlike his friend, he dealt with his grief and guilt by facing it rather than hiding from it.

“I’m sorry,” You said, looking towards your feet. “I’m being selfish, aren’t I?”

“No, you’re being reasonable,” said Gojo, who stood from his desk, tucking his hands in his pockets as he walked out of the class.

“Suguru’s the one being selfish.”

Yaga canceled class for the third day in a row. Ieiri had asked if you would like to come over and watch some movies with her, but you politely declined her offer.

“I think I’ll just go back and get some rest,” You said.

“Okay. Just call me if you want anything,” She waved, offering a smile to you. “I’d be glad to get you some ice cream if you wanted.”

You passed by Gojo’s room, pausing for a moment. He left his door open again. Lately, he’d be gone for hours, training by himself. You just assumed it was his way of coping.

When you opened the door to your own room, you froze at the figure sitting on the edge of your bed. Turning on the light, Geto didn’t look up as you stepped inside, running your eyes over him. His hair was down, hanging in front of his face. His arms were on his thighs, hands dangling between his legs.

“Sugar,” You called softly.

He raised his head, and your chest tightened at the sight of the dark bags under his eyes, red-rimmed onyx orbs watering with each passing second. You closed the door behind you as walked towards him. He grabbed the back of your thighs, pulling your legs on either side of his hips, pulling you into his lap. He held you tightly, burying his face in your chest as he released a shaky breath.

“You haven’t slept, have you?” You asked, brushing his hair back as you pressed a kiss to the top of his head. He shook his head into your chest.

“I-I c-can’t,” He whispered, his voice cracking. It broke your heart to see him like this. “It’s my fault,”

“No, no, you are not doing this to yourself,” You said, standing up from his lap. You crouched in front of him instead, cupping his face in your small hands. He placed his over yours, swallowing them with his own scarred hands. “You had no play in that girl’s death. You couldn’t control what happened.”

“I could have tried harder.”

“No. You did everything that you could. Sugar, none of this was your fault. It’s not like you could have controlled whether she lived or died. You aren’t God, you didn’t know those types of things would happen. None of us saw it coming,” Shifting closer to him, you forced his head up, making him meet your gaze.

“Don’t you feel bad for her?” He asked, voice strained as his eyebrows upturned in distress.

“Of course I feel bad for her,” You whispered. “She was just a kid, like us.”

“She didn’t get to say goodbye to her mentor. She didn’t get to say goodbye to her friends. She didn’t get to say goodbye to her family, her whole life!”

Your hands slipped from his face. He grabbed them in his, squeezing them tightly.

“Imagine your life suddenly ending,” He whispered. “You would have never been able to say goodbye to Aiko, or to your father,”

“S-Suguru...what are you doing?” You whispered, suddenly feeling like a cornered animal.

“Imagine,” He slipped from the bed, kneeling on the floor with you. “How would you feel, Y/n? Helpless right?”

“S-stop,” You breathed, eyes wide.

“You want to create a world of peaceful humanity. You want only the pure hearted. But how can you have pure hearted human when they are the ones destroying each other?”

His knuckles brushed over your cheek, noting how you trembled under his touch. You could feel your heart pounding against your chest, and your hands were shaking. Your eyebrows were laced together. What had gotten into him so suddenly?

“You want a perfect world, don’t you, my love?” He asked softly, stroking your cheeks with his thumbs. “We can’t do it with humans in the way!”

“S-Suguru, stop it. Y-You’re scaring me,” You said.

“Y/n, listen to me--”

“You’re sleep deprived,” You said, gaze shaking. “Go to sleep, Suguru.”

“Y/n, please just--”

You didn’t let him reply. Your index and middle finger pressed against his forehead, and his eyes fluttered shut. He slumped forward, and you held him to you. You placed a hand on the back of his head, burying your face into his neck.

“Suguru...what’s happened to you?”