ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ

26 November 2005
Approximately 6:22 A.M.
Fukaura, Japan

Geto's jacket warmed you, the much larger fabric swallowing you as you rested in his side. He was against the window on the train, his arm around your waist as you sat snugly in his side. You'd just woken up, but he hadn't noticed you yet. He was on the phone, talking in a quiet voice.

"I know, Satoru, I--Look, trust me on this. We'll be fine. All schools are out for winter break. It won't be suspicious for us to be out. Besides, I made her--will you shut up for a second? Her hair's covered by a hat, and her face is mostly covered with a scarf. I wouldn't--Satoru, I'm going to hang up if you don't---fuck off."

He sighed, throwing his phone on the table before rubbing his eyes. He looked so tired. You sat up.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, don't worry about it," He sighed. "We'll be in Nikko in about eight hours. You were only out for about thirty minutes."

"Then why don't you get some sleep? I know you didn't when I was," You said, reaching for your bag. "I'll work on some things so I'll be content."

Geto nodded, and after shifting around some, he laid his head in your lap, legs extended across the aisle in your empty car. You messed around with his hair, a new habit whenever he laid next to you until he was finally asleep before opening your laptop, connecting it to the pocket Wifi box. You searched through records, tracing back through the lineage of the Zenin family.

The perks of having a police officer for a father were knowing all the codes to enter in order to get whatever you wanted. It was one of your many talents; you could look at one thing and instantly memorize it. So the one time you saw your father enter his username and password, you were able to do whatever you wanted. And you used it to your advantage.

After logging in, you scanned over the information. You sat there for hours, occasionally thanking the conductor when he would walk back and refill your glass of coffee, typing away, checking on Geto's sleeping form, before returning back to your work.

Fushiguro Toji, born as Zenin Toji, age 41. He was first married to a woman, whose name has been removed, and had a son, named Megumi. He then married to a Fushiguro, and took his wife's last name, along with his new step-daughter, Tsumiki. He apparently left his clan for some reason not stated but is wanted for over thirty murders, and they believe he's responable for much more.

Your guess? The Zenin Family embodies the nobility status granted to them as a major clan. They value powerful cursed techniques above all else and would reject their own family members if they don't deem their power acceptable. Toji had probably fallen into this category. You didn't feel an ounce of cursed energy from him before he attacked you, so perhaps that was the reason. His hatred of this could have led him to become a hitman to kill powerful sorcerers, just to show his own family what he was capable of doing.

Then why accept their contract to kill you? Was it because it was a branch of the clan and not the head family? Were they also outcasted, and Toji related to them? Or was it just because the money was good? 3 million yen was a lot just to kill someone.

The real question was: What could you have possibly done to gain the attention of the Zenin clan, and could have done in order to get yourself killed? Your first thought was Ira-Sensei. Could they have still been upset over his death, even after all these years? No, Ira-sensei had nothing to do with his clan. He left when he was still a teenager, and he was much past his prime when you met him and went under his training. So what was the reason?

You needed to speak with someone from the clan. But who? You didn't know if the head clan would kill you either, so you were wary. You didn't know of anyone else other than Ira-sensei. There's no record of him having a wife or a child either, so there was no one you knew of that you could trust.

You propped your elbows on the table, cradling your head in your hands. Dammit. This was all so frustrating. Why did this have to happen to you? You were at such a dead end. Dammit. Dammit, dammit, dammit!

You jumped at the feeling of lips pressing on the underside of your jaw. Looking down, Geto's eyes were open, a lazy grin on his face.

"You're stressing too much, Sunshine," He muttered, his arm wrapping around your waist, hand in the middle of your back. "Relax."

"S-Sorry," You sigh. "I just want to figure this all out. I mean--who could want me dead? I never had any kind of connection with the Zenin clan other than Ira-sensei."

Geto sat up, swinging his legs under the table. "What family did he have?"

"None, Ira-sensei didn't have a wife or any children," You replied.

"Then where did all of his things go and he passed?" Geto said, looking over at you. Your eyes widened.

"His will,"

Turning the laptop to face you, Geto watched as it clicked behind your eyes. Your fingers glided across the keyboard, eyes scanning over the screen. A moment later, your head was in your hands. Geto peered over your shoulder.

"He left it all to you," He said quietly.

"Everything he owned would be transferred to my name when I turned sixteen," You said, wiping your hands over your face. "That's why everyone wants me dead. If I'm not there to collect it, it'll go to the clan. His weapons, his home, his wealth--all of it."

"If he left it to you rather than his own family," Geto said, "then there must be something he doesn't want them to find."

Your mind was racing. What was there that he always hid away? Something he never let you touch...something that...

"Y/n, I want you to listen to me closely,"

You looked up, your feet swinging over the chain with a hum. The older man walked towards the wall and pressed against it. You gasped as the panel shifted, and he slid it open.

"W-Woah, what is that?" You asked, sliding to the ground. He kept you from entering, making you look up at him.

"Inside of here is something very dangerous. If anything were to ever happen to me, Y/n, this becomes yours."

"Mine?"

"Yes. You'll understand when you get older, but to enter safely, you must know what I have taught you," He said, sliding it closed. "I just knew I should show you now, so please, do not forget about it."

"I know what it is."

....

Sorry guys. I messed up the chapters and had the same chapter written twice. And I had all the dates wrong so if you remember it being 2006, it's now 2005. My friend pointed it out and I was like: why didn't anybody tell me?? Anyways, enjoy :)