Chapter 32: A Line in the Sand

In some places, the borders between the different clans are very clear. A river, a line of mountains, a visible change from forest to desert – they all obviously mark the transition. And some places don't have that clear a sign but the occupants know to an inch which land is theirs and which is their neighbouring clan's. However, other borders are less a line than they are a no man's land, a strip of earth where neither side step in case the land belongs to the other – generally because in the past when they have stepped there, the other side hasn't hesitated to attack. Animals graze in peace and nuts and berries grow wildly, in areas like that.

This part of the border between the Ice Nation and the Woods Clan is like that. Lexa finds it unnerving. It might be the safest place to cross the border, she trusts Anya's judgment about that, but there's something about the lack of any signs of people at all that makes it seem ominous. She's used to seeing the marks of hunters, travellers, and gatherers. Subtle marks like crushed grass or a scraped tree instead of more obvious ones, but marks nonetheless.

Even the Skaikru, who wouldn't consciously recognise those marks, seem concerned by this. The casual chatter in the group has all but ceased.

"How much further to the village?" Lexa says under her breath to Anya. Across this border is the village Anya considers to be the friendliest to the Trikru – perhaps because it has been years since any ventured into the hazy border between the two clans. Good fences, after all, make good neighbours. The only Trikru these Azgeda will have seen in the intervening time are merchants travelling over worn paths to sell them things, instead of hunters and trappers arguing over whose kill an animal is, or Trikru bandits looking to steal from the closest villages across the border.

"Perhaps half an hour's walk at most," Anya replies just as quietly.

"Hopefully Nia's had time to let everyone know they'll be getting a visit from their Heda," Clarke comments. She's no longer wearing Skaikru clothing, having borrowed some of Lexa's clothes – much better defensively than hers, and much warmer. Lexa is biased, of course, but she also thinks Clarke looks more natural in them.

"If she's bothered to," Anya mutters.

Anya's probably right, Lexa knows. While she doesn't believe Nia will attempt to kill her, she's also unlikely to try and ease their path north.

Lexa is wearing her Commander gear in full, as she has not recently. Warpaint is smeared around her eyes, creating the effect of a Natblida crying blood. Her thick hair is carefully braided in the style she uses when she wishes to be unapproachable and regal but also suspects she may be in a fight, small bits of barbed wire and other surprises carefully incorporated so that it cannot be grabbed without pain. Her clothes are black, all ripped fabric and leather and belts, creating an intimidating effect. The only colour is the red of her sash slashing through all of the monochrome.

She has noticed that the Skaikru – excluding Clarke – seem more reluctant to speak to her now that she is dressed as her rank requires. Wells and Finn have become more quiet and deferent, Raven compensates for her wariness by talking with forced cheer, and Octavia avoids speaking to her at all. It is as though her wearing this reminds them of who she is. Clarke, Anya, Indra and the gonakru following them treat her no differently, as none ever forgot who she was.

"There it is," Anya says, sounding slightly relieved. No doubt she feared she had the location wrong. Lexa nods, seeing the village ahead as well. She starts to move quicker.

"HOD OP !" a yell comes.

Lexa blinks, but stills, her hand on her sword. In seconds they're surrounded. A large gonakru, although not close to equalling their force by Lexa's estimate. The gona who moves to stand directly in front of Lexa must be their leader, judging by his confident – bordering on arrogant – gait.