Chapter 118: An Offer You Can Refuse

It is past noon the next day when Lexa meets with Clarke, Gustus, Zion, and Anya around the carved wooden table. This is partly because they all needed rest, partly because Lexa wished to prolong her time entangled comfortably with Clarke, and partly because Lexa does not think Anya could have been drawn away from Raven before now even by threat of force.

Besides Clarke, who remains seated at the table resting her ankle, the Skaikru who travelled with them are out in Arkadia, speaking to people and organising things – Lexa requested that they leave for this meeting. Most of the Skaikru do not understand the Flame, let alone believe in it, and the position of Fleimkepa is a matter of unimportance to them.

It is the first time Anya and Gustus have seen each other since they returned. Gustus was away dealing with the horses and double-checking that Arkadia had sufficient defences when they reached the house, and Anya was ensconced in Raven's room by the time he found the place. Their greeting is typical for them.

"Anya," Gustus says, reaching out to clasp her hand in welcome. "You have not changed at all since our last meeting." He squeezes her hand tightly and she returns the grip even more fiercely, meeting his eyes with a challenging glint as they try and out-grapple each other subtly. "Except perhaps to grow in stubbornness."

"Stubbornness and strength, kriken lukot," Anya says smoothly, increasing the pressure until her hand is white and her arm trembles with the strain.

After a long moment, Gustus laughs with his eyes and releases her, clapping her shoulder lightly with his other hand. "Everything but wisdom, then, Anya kom Trikru."

"What use is wisdom to a warrior?" Anya jokes, one side of her mouth twisting up very slightly. Lexa thinks the Skaikru would probably have trouble telling that Anya and Gustus have been good friends for many years, despite their light words, because the way they express their affection is so foreign to Skaikru ways. But it warms her heart to think that in a year's time, perhaps they will be able to tell, just as in a year's time perhaps her people will have begun to understand Skaikru words and ways.

Lexa clears her throat and both are instantly silent. "I believe it would be best to appoint a Fleimkepa before we return to Polis," she says bluntly, not spending any time on small talk. "Deciding on one there will make the ambassadors think they should be involved in the decision. To save having that argument, I would rather go back with the matter settled."

"What is your decision, Heda?" Gustus asks respectfully, but she sees a flash of concern in his eyes. Her Gustus would not welcome being Fleimkepa, she thinks.

"It cannot be a Skaikru," Lexa says flatly. "They can read, but even if one came to believe in the Flame, I have raised the Sky People too far and too fast to give them more power. The other clans see I have made them one of us, I have allowed them to rent our land, I have given them food, I have given their children homes in Polis, I have made one my second in command."

"Of course the Fleimkepa cannot be Skaikru," Anya agrees, looking at Lexa in confusion. "The Fleimkepa is Trikru, always."

"The Fleimkepa was Trikru when we were all Trikru," Lexa replies. "We are thirteen clans now. Most Natblida are from Trikru territory, the capital is in Trikru territory, a Trikru native rules the alliance. We cannot act as if Trikru is the ruling clan, as if the others are lesser. It is time to spread the power to others."

"But these are our ways," Anya objects. "Our people's ways. You cannot give them away."

"It's not giving them away," Clarke says firmly. "All the clans work to keep the important parts of their culture alive. But in creating the alliance, you've made a system of government which is ruled by someone chosen by the Trikru religion, and the other clans have become part of that religion. Their belief in their leader is partly belief in the Flame. You can't act like that belief is less important when it affects their lives every bit as much as the Trikru's."