Chapter 70: Launch Codes

"It's against our ways," one of the ambassadors says, a thread of fear in his voice. Fear of the idea of more change, perhaps, or just fear of disagreeing with the Commander.

"Ways can change," Lexa says. "But I think, if anything, my idea is more in line with our ways. In the Conclave we pit all the Nightbloods against each other, and hope for one survivor. But if someone challenges me we do not let them attack me with a dozen people and then crown the survivor." She snorts. "Surviving is not the sign of a strong warrior – any coward can survive if they run or hide. I want our next Commander to be brave."

"The Conclave is how the spirit chooses," another ambassador insists.

"I have the spirit," Lexa points out. "So whoever I choose as my successor is chosen by the spirit." She shakes her head. "As I said, however, I have no intention of my choice being final and inarguable. I think for the week after my fight ends, all Nightbloods should be allowed to challenge my chosen successor in battle if they wish to. If they do not wish to challenge, would you really want them as Commander anyway? They could be weak, or afraid, or unwilling to sacrifice." She sends a mental apology to her Natblida, who she knows would never be any of those things. However, she does also believe none of them would challenge Aden – they would seek to support him. They are his siblings and friends, after all. "After that period, either my chosen successor or the Natblida who has defeated him will be Heda."

"Let me see if I understand," the Broadleaf ambassador says hesitantly. "You would choose a successor. When you die, the other Nightbloods would have a week to challenge him. If one kills him, then they have earned the position of Heda. If none defeat him, he has earned the position of Heda. But you intend to make these challenges optional. What if none challenge him?"

"Then it means every one of them believes either that he will be a better Heda than they, or they believe he could defeat them easily," Lexa says. "A Natblida who believes either of those things could not be Heda. Certainty and strength is required to be the Commander." She leans forward, face set and hand touching the hilt of her sword, threatening him with her own certainty and strength.

"It is... more elegant, then the current method," the Rock Line ambassador says slowly. Rock Line, Lexa remembers from her visits there, have very few children. It is difficult for them to bear a healthy child and many are born deformed, disfigured or already dead. For that reason they consider the killing of able-bodied children more horrific than any other clan. "And it means if a Commander died within only a year or so of becoming Heda, the Flame would not need to pass to the next generation of Natblida, many of whom would be far too young – perhaps less than eight summers."

Lexa sends him an approving glance. "Exactly."

"What would become of the others if they do not die or become Heda, though?" the Azgeda ambassador asks. "What would their fate be?"

"Personal guard for the new Commander," Lexa replies immediately. "They are loyal, excellent fighters, intelligent, will know the Commander well, and it ensures that if something unexpected happens there are candidates around who are able to take the Flame."

The ambassador frowns. "What if the chosen heir died at the same time as you – as the Commander died," he amends hurriedly. "Or if the Commander died before naming a successor. How would the heir be chosen then? Would we go back to the Conclave?"

"The ambassadors and the Fleimkepa would vote, of course," Lexa says, smiling coolly. At once the ambassadors look more interested – there is nothing they like better than receiving more authority, even if it is for a contingency that is unlikely to occur. "With the Fleimkepa to have final say if the vote is not conclusive. Do any of you object?" She looks at each of them in turn and they flinch from her gaze like it is the sun. Not a single one objects.