Chapter 94: Convalescence

"We must get off the pathway," Lexa says decisively. "They are likely to come this way."

Raven frowns. "What if they know that we know that they're going to go north? Then they could not use the path. You know, to confuse us."

It takes Lexa a moment to untangle what Raven means, already successfully confused even without the Azgeda's interference. "That is possible," she acknowledges. "But not here, not if they plan to travel quickly. There is a frozen river ahead, and the only bridge is along this path. If they are riding their horses they will have to use it."

"I have found a cave nearby," Linkon says, appearing suddenly. Zion is already finding somewhere near the path to hide, his light grey clothing making him blend easily with the snow. "We can hide in it – or at least hide Raven kom Skaikru in it."

"Hey!" Raven objects.

Linkon looks apologetic. "You are the loudest and most noticeable of us," he says. "The rest of us will be able to watch without being seen. You will not."

Lexa almost smiles at the look of pique on Raven's face. "I will stay in the cave with her," she says. "That way Raven will have a guard." She looks at Linkon and raises her eyebrow. "And I am more likely to be spotted than either of you, as well. I should hide also."

Linkon avoids agreeing with her, and instead just says, "As you wish, Heda."

It is the truth – Linkon's sharp scout hearing and sight will be useful and help him both find and avoid the Azgeda gona. Zion is used to this terrain and more effective in it. Here, in fact, he is just as good a tracker as Linkon. Raven, on the other hand, has no skill in this, and Lexa has concentrated far more on combat and strategic skills in recent years than on abilities such as tracking or hiding.

He leads them to the little cave swiftly and Raven ducks inside. "Homey," she comments, voice echoing. "So how long do we expect to be here?"

"It could be hours or even days," Lexa says serenely, though inwardly she hopes it will not be long. Every part of her body is crying out to rush north, to find Clarke. The idea that her niron could be in pain, could be being tortured, is terrifying to her.

"Great," Raven mutters.

"We will report as soon as we see them," Linkon promises, and turns to leave.

"Linkon kom Trikru," Lexa says, stopping him. "I... I apologise for once again separating you from your Octavia."

"Duty comes first, Heda," he says quietly.

"You guys should go on a holiday together when we get back," Raven suggests brightly. "Find a beach somewhere, get some sun -" she shivers. "Definitely some sun."

"A honeymoon," Lexa says, proud she knows the Skaikru word for this. Raven makes a choking noise, surprised.

Linkon frowns. "A... a honey moon?"

"It is a Skaikru tradition. It is when you go away somewhere with only your partner. It does not matter where, but it must last a week." Lexa says knowledgeably. She looks at Raven. "That is correct, sha?"

"Um... sha," Raven says, a little weakly. She looks at Linkon and a strange expression comes onto her face, like she's desperately suppressing a smile. "Yeah, it's a tradition. You have to do it regularly or you're a bad partner. You know, when you get back to Polis and see Octavia, you should totally suggest it. Ask her to go on a honeymoon with you. Actually, you should do it in front of her brother, that way he'll know you're being a good boyfriend by our standards. It'll help you get his approval."

"Mochof," Linkon says, looking grateful. With a quick nod, he turns to go back to the road.

Raven sags back against the cave wall and buries her face in her hands. "I'm a bad person," she says, voice muffled.