HOW TO BREAK A BOND

I storm past Ava's sleeping form without a second thought, my only focus on making my escape. Across the soft rug and through the hallway, my mind is a whirlwind of thoughts as my legs carry me downstairs and out the front door. My head is pounding, but I push on until I reach the lake. The gentle lapping of the water has a calming, almost hypnotic effect. I stand there, rooted in place until my legs give out, my energy drains away, and I collapse to my knees.

Lowering my head, I allow myself to wallow in self-pity, emotions warring within me. Half of them scream with what I know is jealousy, while the other half berates me for being hypocritical. I have no right to desire Liam. He's not mine, and I can never be his.

Ignoring the dampness from the grass seeping through my pants, the cold becoming a distant sensation, I stay on the ground until a small warm hand touches my shoulder, the shock causing me to flinch.

I turn my head and find Eileen smiling down at me, her expression serene. "Soothing, isn't it, love? The water has always been a favorite place of mine." Drawing closer, she gives me a knowing look. "My parents had a farm just off the northern coast of Ireland, right along the cliff face. I used to go out and watch the sea, especially when my mind was in turmoil."

I lower my lids, nodding in agreement as her words resonate with me. "You know, fate has a funny way of working," Eileen continues. "Not everything we think and see is the truth. Sometimes it's when you keep walking that you stumble across what is real."

I blink open my eyes, realizing that Eileen is now sitting cross-legged next to me, her focus fixed on the water ahead. "When I was a girl, I dreamt of grand things, Erin," she says, pausing before continuing with a sad smile. "Girls always do. But tradition and rules often hinder us from reaching our full potential."

"Why do I feel like you're speaking in riddles?" I ask, a slight groan escaping me, which makes her chuckle.

Eileen pats my leg, her blue eyes still locked on the lake. She sighs, "I believe you understand my riddles perfectly well, lass. Siobhan and I see the way he looks at you."

"I..."

"No need to deny it, love. You're a very intriguing young lady. I've caught most of the men sneaking glances in your direction. It's natural for our wolves to be drawn to your flame."

Her words freeze me, and I go to speak, but she waves me off. "Aye, Erin, I've encountered your kind before. And I know our men can be drawn to that... to you."

"I don't want to cause..."

"Erin," Eileen interrupts gently. "You don't have to justify yourself to me. We women may seem a little strange to you, but I'm not as closed-minded as some."

"What should I do?"

Turning to face me, she smiles again, the warmth reaching her eyes. "If it were anyone other than Liam, I'd say, 'Feck them.' But he's our future Alpha, Erin, and we need him to be with a mate who can continue the line."

Her words, even though hard to hear, are accurate. I understand shifter dynamics and know I don't have the lady parts to take on an alpha.

I tighten my jaw, well aware that my emotions carry little weight, especially considering the binding contract with Alexie. Nonetheless, I summon my inner strength, shifting the conversation's course to seek answers. "I understand, but Eileen, give it to me straight. What's the Ranch's plan for Ava, and how can she sever the bond?"

Sighing, she redirects her gaze to the water. "The decision to break the bond rests entirely with Ava. Erin, you may not agree with how we've handled things, but we truly have Ava's best interests at heart."