MY HEART IS YOURS

***AVA***

As my heart and stomach thump in unison, I move closer, with Erin and Isla trailing behind me. The sensation in my stomach feels like a boxing match, as my little Alpha wriggles about. Yet, it's the ache in my heart, a longing for my mate, that overwhelms me most. I've never felt more complete than when I'm with Griffin; he's filled a void in my soul I never knew existed.

"You doing okay, babe?" Erin's voice pulls me from my thoughts, and I glance over my shoulder at my best friend, offering her a reassuring grin as I take a deep breath.

I feel for her. Even though today is about Griffin and me, I know it's tough for her too. But there's more to Liam escorting Griffin than meets the eye. He's not only the future Alpha, which makes this part of his duties, but we also hope it'll bring him and Erin closer. We're all silently rooting for Erin to realize that she and Liam are meant to be.

I know she's bound to Alexei, and while I have nothing against him, my family has been trying to find loopholes in the contract. They haven't openly admitted it, but since Isla returned and became intensely focused on her research, it's clear they believe she's onto something significant, possibly learned in the city or even the Manor, that could help.

If there's no legal way out, Griffin has vowed to do whatever it takes to free her, should she choose that path. I firmly believe that what Erin and Liam share mirrors the connection Griffin and I have. She may not be a she-wolf, but the bond is between them in there.

"It's time to remove our shoes," Isla announces, and I wrinkle my nose in distaste. Yet another tradition. The ground of the Spur is considered sacred during these rites, meant to connect us to nature. But honestly, I hate mess, and the thought of dirt on my feet irks me.

"The dirt won't kill you, bitch," Erin teases, seeing my hesitation.

"Tell that to the man who died of tetanus last month," I retort.

"She-wolves don't get sick from nature," Isla responds, and Erin laughs. Reluctantly, I slip off my shoes, followed by the girls, and we proceed toward the altar.

I'm thankful the snow has melted and the sun is out, though a cool breeze causes me to shiver slightly. The clearing thrums with energy, filled with the sweet scents of honey and cinnamon.

When we reach the altar, Patrick, dressed in a white linen shirt and matching pants, waits patiently. He watches as the girls lift the train of my dress. Both Erin and Isla carefully place the crocheted lace atop the stone, then help me sit on the edge, my train flowing behind me. If I didn't know Griffin was about to arrive, I'd feel like a lamb prepped for slaughter.

Now I understand why bonded women in the past wore dresses similar to the maidens'. There's no way I'll leave this ceremony with my dress intact.

"Welcome, Ava," Patrick greets, a softness in his eyes. "Girls."

"Mr. Brady," Erin responds, while Isla offers him a gentle smile.

"It's Patrick, Erin, or would you prefer I call you Ciara?" His comment makes my jaw drop in surprise, mirroring Erin's reaction. Patrick chuckles, "Girls, there are many things an Alpha knows about his pack."

"Who else knows?" Erin's voice is firm.

"About your name or your connection?"

"Both." Although Erin's face remains expressionless, her hand tapping against her thigh betrays her anxiety.

"Siobhan," we nod when he mentions his wife. "Eileen, Sean." Their involvement isn't surprising; Eileen has always been close to Isla, and Sean is Patrick's brother and Beta. "And Oscar."