EPILOGUE

**ISLA**

"Trouble, are you sure?" Shay asks, his Adam's apple bobbing visibly. I pause, taking a moment to steady the emotions churning beneath the surface. The usual cheer in Shay's expression has given way to concern—a look I dislike seeing directed at me.

Taking a deep breath of the chilly night air to calm my nerves, I open my mouth to respond. "It has to be this way. The contract was explicit." I blink slowly, steeling myself for what I must say next. "We can't fight fate."

A flash of red sparks in Shay's eyes, but I take his hands in mine, grounding him. His emotions cool under my touch. "You're putting yourself at risk," he says.

The familiar pain of biting the inside of my mouth helps focus my thoughts. It's a tactic Ciara and I unknowingly share to maintain control—something I've observed but never discussed. "He needs an heir," I say bluntly, causing Shay to flinch. "I can provide that, so Ciara can be with her true mate."

"I still don't like it," he mutters, his grip tightening—a punishing yet comforting pressure. Shay knows my cues well and doesn't hesitate to provide the pain that sharpens my focus. "We haven't been apart since... forever. Damn it, Trouble! You are the Maverick to my Goose." Releasing my hands, he pulls me into a tight embrace and plants a kiss on my head. The skin-to-skin contact sends a soothing thrum through my body, a response that fortifies me.

I savor the embrace, knowing well the integral part of me he has become. As time urges us on, Shay loosens his hold enough for me to step back and look up into his meridian-colored eyes. I place my hand over his heart, tapping gently. "We will always be together," I assure him, touching the core of our bond. "In here."

The smile Shay gives me then is bittersweet, filled with the complexity of our situation. His dimples show, and I exhale in relief, knowing he understands and won't challenge my decision. His next hug conveys his mix of love, fear, and, most potently, trust.

"But I go where you go," he whispers, his voice so faint it's nearly lost.

"I know," I reply, offering a melancholy smile, the only solace I can provide as I prepare for what's next.

As we pull apart, I feel enveloped by his unique scent of honey and leather, a comfort that I cling to. "You are going to be the death of me, Trouble," he murmurs, leaning down to kiss me once more, sharing his strength and emotions.

"You know I will need to go silent?"

Shay nods, understanding my prediction of Alexander's likely demands. After observing him closely for weeks, I know Ciara's actions must have deeply affected him. It stands to reason that he would ask me to cut off communication with my family, at least initially.

"But we'll still have our super-spy code," Shay says with a dismissive wave, gesturing to his watch, which is identical to mine. It's one of three I made when we started working together. Griffin has the third.

"Go bring my sister home," I say with a forced grin, stepping back to maintain my composure. My emotions are tumultuous, and I'm clinging desperately to control.

<Can you let me know when you're with him? When it's done?> Shay asks through our bond, switching to a private communication mode to ensure privacy.

<Yes.>

<And I need to buy you half an hour?>

<Yes,> I confirm, thinking of Ava's likely distraction tactics with her infamous bladder issues.

<I love you, Trouble,> Shay sends through our bond, his sincerity reaching deep.

I smile, letting him see my response in my eyes—one of the few who truly knows me.