Chapter 4

4

(ALICE)

Crap.

I stamped my foot and scowled at the ground, wishing that I could rid my phone of the various scratches and piece it back together again simply by staring at it.

Minutes passed and I sighed deeply as I realised that it just wasn’t going to move. Who was I kidding anyway? I bent down and scooped up the pieces of my phone into my hands, sliding the battery into the back and blowing softly on the screen to clean it.

There were numerous scratches on the screen and front, and one of the buttons was wedged at an angle into the side, but otherwise it seemed to fit together alright. Seeing as this was the third time this week it had collided with the wall, things could have been much worse. Crossing my fingers and silently praying that it would work, I held my finger on the ON button and waited.

A welcome message popped up on the screen:

It’s about time you turned your phone on! Answer my texts already!

*-.-*

(OMG that smiley is wearing our earrings!!!)

Jenny. I really needed to stop letting her use my phone. Her message almost made me smile, but not quite.

I confess that I hardly ever texted back within the hour of receiving a message, but that’s only because when I got one it was always a disappointment. I loved Jenny and Jamie of course, but the texts I wanted weren’t from them.

The texts just weren’t right because they weren’t from him.

‘Alice, you home?’

A loud, cheerful voice echoed around the otherwise empty house and reverberated off of the walls. A door slammed downstairs and the rustling sound of plastic bags and boxes accompanied it. There was a series of thudding noises and a minute or two of uttered swear words. This bought a smile to my face.

My sister really did know how to make an entrance.

‘Yeah, I’m up here!’ I called. ‘Wait a minute, Sammi. I’ll be down in a second!’

One of the many things I loved about my older sister was that she knew me better than I knew myself. When I said ‘I’ll be there in a second,’ it really meant that there was something on my mind worth dawdling for. Sammi instantly appeared at the door to my room with a grin, her black curly hair spilling down almost to her waist. It looked fuzzy today, like she had been outside for too long. She brushed it out of her eyes, looking apologetically at me.

‘Hey, something bothering you?’ she asked, a flash of concern flickering across her face.

I told my sister everything. She was the one and only person who seemed to understand me, and she always knew what to say when things went wrong. Also, there was no point in trying to hide things from her either. I’d tried that one countless times before and it had failed miserably. Consequently, Sammi knew all my secrets and so far she hadn’t told anyone, so that was fine with me.

‘Yeah, everything.’ I moaned, flopping down on the bed and closing my eyes. Sammi came to sit on the end of the bed and played with her hair, looking down at me. She was so beautiful; I wished all the time that I would someday be as pretty as her.

‘Wanna talk about it?’ she said, batting her long, dark eyelashes.

‘Not really…’ I groaned, but I knew what was coming next.