Chapter 9

With their preparations made, the Team puts Cisco to sleep and sends him into his dream. Once under, he remembers all of the events from the alternate timeline, including his death. It's that last part that almost causes Cisco to stroke, but his death, and some help from Caitlin, wakes him up.

There's little time to post-mortem Cisco's Inception-like escapade because Dr Wells calls Barry to let him know about a fire that breaks out. He arrives on the scene, but can't seem to put the fire out.

Dutifully assuming the mentor role, Dr Wells walks Barry through creating a vortex with his arms to clear the oxygen of the room and it works.

Based on Cisco's "dream," Barry knows that the only way to get Dr Wells to let his guard down and confess is to put him in a room with someone he trusts and cares for: Cisco. They decide to recreate Cisco's memory, except this time Cisco won't die because Joe and Barry will be there and he's modified the force field to not let any speedsters inside.

Caitlin is tasked with recording the conversation from The Cortex.

The trap is set, and upon hearing that Cisco has figured out what went wrong with the force field, Dr Wells takes the bait and ventures downstairs. We've been through this before: Dr Wells walks into the room, compliments Cisco's cleverness and gets ready to vibrate through him.

Cisco turns on the force field, but, it doesn't work and Dr Wells walks right through it. Joe opens fires on Dr Wells while Barry tries to catch the bullets because Dr Wells hasn't confessed yet, but he misses one and Dr Wells dies.

"Is he dead." Stiles says through the comms.

Barry looks at the body

".Oh shit."

"What, Barry, what's going on?."stiles sounded worried.

"His face... it has changed into someone else, a shapeshiffer pretending to be Dr Wells."

That's when Dr Wells' voice comes on over the intercom and he starts to gloat that he'll always been many steps ahead of Barry.

Dr Wells admits that this changes nothing and that he and Barry will face each other very soon.

Barry rushes to the Time Vault and finds Dr Wells' extensive surveillance system. He had cameras everywhere: in The West home, Iris' office, Barry's lab.

Finding Dr Wells' extensive surveillance network forces them to realize that they never had the upperhand; Dr Wells had known what they were up to all along.

Barry thinks Wells is going to go after Iris, because he thinks Barry is in love with her.

Iris and Eddie are walking along a bridge hand in hand. Eddie is about to propose. Sadly, he's interrupted because the Reverse Flash shows up, steals his ring, tosses him aside, and goes to kill Iris. Thankfully, The Flash arrives in time to save her, but Reverse Flash manages to kidnap Eddie.
The Flash promises Iris he'll save Eddie, and as he speeds away he shocks Iris, which causes her to realize it's Barry. She remembers being shocked by him when he was in a coma after the particle accelerator exploded.

Barry has very little time to dwell on anything or search for Eddie because there's a masked man decked out in some Slade Wilson-level body armoured trucks carrying gold. Barry and stiles arrive on the scene of another attempted theft, but something attacks Barrys mind and incapacitates him long enough for the man in the mask to get away.

Barry and stiles return to the lab and, as Caitlin and Cisco are checking Barry out, Iris casually strolls in and reveals that she knows about his secret.

Iris is upset, Her anger increases when Barry lets slip that Dr Wells is the Man in the Yellow Suit who kidnapped Eddie and that her father told him not to tell her.

"We were trying to protect you"

"You could have told me, I could have helped."

Barry was about to say something when his phone buzzed. Work calling.

Barry heads out with Stiles.

Another shipment of gold heads out, and this time the CCPD is waiting in the back of the truck, an ice cream truck that is, for the man in the mask.

The man in the mask shows up and is about to kill Stiles when Barry knocks him out.  The man in the mask is General Eiling.

After imprisoning him in the pipeline, Team Flash realizes that General Eiling isn’t all there, his mind has been taken over by S.T.A.R. Labs’ old pet gorilla Grodd.

"Eiling hurt me. I hurt Eiling…I. Am. Grodd. Fear. Me,” Grodd growls through Eiling’s mouth.

Caitlin and Cisco deduce that the particle accelerator explosion must have enhanced the medicines Dr Wells and Eiling gave Grodd and given him mind-control powers.

Joe suggests Wells must have sent Grodd as a distraction.

With some help from Iris, who insists on no longer being kept out of the loop, Cisco, Barry, Stiles and Joe figure out Grodd is hiding in the sewer and head underground to find him.

Their trip through the dark tunnels is way too creepy. They find drawings on the wall, which show how much Grodd’s intelligence has grown over the past few months.

Eventually, Grodd makes his move.

Showing off how smart he is, Grodd takes Barry out of action first, and then kidnaps Joe. All of this happens as Caitlin and Iris watch on cameras from the lab.

In an attempt to comfort Iris, Barry tells her that she shouldn’t blame Joe for not telling her.

Barry is capable of making his own decisions. At any point, he could’ve ignored Joe’s orders and told her, but he didn’t. Barry admits she has a right to be mad at him, but then undercuts that by pointing out how she’s been lying about her feelings for him.
Iris just gives him a cold and blank stare, which prompts him to retreat.

An injured Joe learns what it’s liked to be whammied by Grodd. Using his powers, Grodd compels Joe to point and point his gun at himself, Joe tries to appease Grodd with a banana, but ends up insulting Grodd. “Grodd hate banana,” the gorilla snarls.

Using a tracker Cisco placed on Grodd, they are able to track him in the sewers. Barry speeds off into battle wearing some new headgear from Cisco and Caitlin that’s meant to shield his mind from Grodd.

Cisco uses steam in the tunnels to move Grodd into position so that Barry can use his supersonic punch. But, like we said before, Grodd is no ordinary gorilla, and he counters Barry's punch. He sends Barry flying.

In the struggle, the headgear breaks leaving Barry vulnerable to Grodd’s powers. Iris, assuming the role usually held by Dr. Wells, gets on the mic and helps Barry break Grodd’s control.

Barry then lures the gorrila into getting hit by an oncoming train.

Later, Barry meets Iris on the Jitters rooftop for another talk. Iris admits that she has been thinking about her feelings for Barry lately, but has to stop because she loves Eddie.

Iris can also see that Barry loves Stiles, and needs to accept it, or she will lose Barry all together.

"I'm sorry, for what I said. I really don't have a problem with you liking guys, or your relationship with Stiles. I admit, I was jealous, I quess I hated the fact that you no longer wanted me, or even needes me. I can see how much he means to you. You love him don't you?. "

"I do, I know its not been long, but it just feels right, I know it's meant to be. We found an article from 2024, apparantly I go missing after a fight with the reverse flash. The name of the person who wrote the article is Stiles stilinski - Allen, we get married."

"I'm happy for you, I really am."

"Thanks Iris."

With that Barry tells Iris everything that has happened since he became the flash.