Chapter 22 - Pirates Marathon

Watchtower

Batman sat at the computer in the Watchtower, his cowl down as he was the only one on duty today. He was expecting Clark to come later, but they already knew each other. Everyone in the inner Sanctum knew his identity, and only those trusted out of it.

He was going over some files from the day before, apparently their new addition to the team, Perseus, had an eventful day yesterday. Reports of a supposed demon showed up, scaring off the locals. Luckily for the League, however, the new hero seemed to have it under control. Being able to hold his own was a good thing, especially since this time he had no help. Bruce made a mental note to check in with him, partly to see if he was accommodating to being a hero of a city by himself alright, but mostly to see if he could gather any more intel on the kid as well. He had said some strange things that got him thinking when he joined the team, and Bruce was determined to figure out who this guy really was.

The Zeta Tube lit up behind him, announcing the arrival of Superman. Bruce spun around in his chair to greet him as Clark walked over to the computer to join him.

"Clark."

"Hey Bruce, how's it been going? Anything interesting happen?" Bruce turned back around to the computer and pulled up a video from a traffic camera that had caught the incident in Manhattan.

"Apparently, a demon showed up in Manhattan yesterday, Perseus seemed to handle it well and dispelled it back to Hell, it seems."

Clark watched parts of the fight unfold before the video ended with a bright flash of light. "A demon attacked in broad daylight? I thought they usually attacked at night?"

"You shouldnt stereotype demons, Clark. Me and Constantine have dealt with the Occult before, sometimes during the day." Batman pulled up a picture of John, which listed his current whereabouts as 'Unknown.'

"Still," Clark continued, "what was a demon doing in Manhattan? Could a cult have summoned it? Or do you think it just got loose and started rampaging?"

Bruce replayed the video on the monitor. "From this video it looks like Perseus was having a conversation with it."

"It kind of looks like he was egging him on, actually."
Bruce saw where Percy was talking to the demon before he smiled and lunged, killing it.

"Wait, stop it right there!" Bruce did and Clark studied the freeze frame in front of him. "See that? Percy had bent down and told him something in his ear, and the demon smiled before disappearing. What do you think that's about?"

Bruce studied the picture before putting his cowl on. "I think," he turned off the monitor and faced Superman, "that I have to visit John Constantine later. I don't think Perseus is who he says he is."

"He actually hasn't said who he is, though."

"That's the point."

"Oh?"

Batman sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Look, Clark. I don't trust him-"

"I know."
"- but at the moment I need to go check on the team. Cover my shift until I get back."

"Sure, I guess. Nothing else happened?"

"No, there was a small object that landed in the Atlantic about 700 miles from New York, but considering its trajectory and the fact it didn't do anything except crash, it's not high on my priority list. I already contacted Arthur to have some of his guys check it out and report back."

Superman sighed, "Well alright then. Don't take to long, I have a date with Louis tonight that I don't want to miss."

"Sure. I'll be back." Bruce walked to the Zeta tubes and they whirled to life, and in the next instant, he was in the cave.