Chapter 9 - Progress

I do not own any PJO or DC Characters, Rick Riordan and DC Comics does

Chapter 9 - Progress

Mount Justice

It didn't take long for Raven to figure out what she wasn't good at: hand-to-hand combat. Canary would have no mercy on her when they would spar, and every time she would try and correct Raven she'd still end up on her back within the next five seconds.

"Make sure your feet are shoulder width apart, Raven." Fail. "Bend your knees a little," Fail. "Don't cross your feet when circling your opponent," Fail.

It was to the point she wasn't sure if she was improving these past few weeks. In fact, she was so untrained that past the two missions the Batman had for them, Raven didn't go. Granted, one was to gather Intel on a Venom distribution and the other was to check a weather anomaly at the harbor, and both of those ended in battles. So Raven wasn't all to upset, if she was going to help people and have to fight for others, she'd rather figure out her weaknesses so she could actually help the team instead of being a casualty and hindering them.

As Raven was lost in her thoughts, Canary lunged forward, grabbed her arm, spun around and put Raven on her stomach with her arm behind her back. Fail. "Never lose focus in a fight Raven. That could be the difference between life and death. Also, don't be afraid to hit back, in a fight your opponent won't be holding back, so you are going to have to give it your all. Understand?"

Raven nodded and stood up, trying to loosen up her shoulder. "I just don't get why I'm not seeing improvement. It's like I do what you say, but it just doesn't work." Dinah smiled at the girl. "Well, I have been training for years. And don't worry, your not the only one getting their butt handed to them. The whole team still has a ways to go before they can match my combat skills and experience, even Robin, and he's been training for 4 years."

Raven sighed, "Yeah but at least Robin can go for a few minutes before you get him."

"Well, he does have field experience. That's how you really improve. You can train for years and years, but seeing how you do out in the real world, that's where you actually improve. I'll convince Batman to send you on the next mission, hopefully that way you can see that you actually improved and you find out what you need to work on. You won't be alone, and your teammates are more than capable. Also, it would he a good chance to work together as a full team in the field."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?"

Canary nodded, "You have improved Raven, a lot. Plus, you have a pretty good grasp on your own powers so you'll do great. This is the only way to see how much you've grown these past few weeks."
"If you're sure, then I'm down. Any idea when the next mission will be?"

"Unfortunately, I do not. Only Batman gives the missions as of right now. But I wouldn't doubt if it was soon. The League is stretched thin all over the world, soon this team is going to have to step up and take on bigger responsibilities. From what I know, Batman is starting with smaller missions and going to gradually give you guys tougher ones. You will all need as much experience in the field as you can possibly get. Don't let these opportunities go to waste Raven."

"I will try my best Dinah."

"That is all I can ask of you right now, Raven. Now, go shower, you stink."

"Yes Ma'am," Raven responded before heading off towards her room to shower.

She got clothes and headed towards the bathroom, making sure the water was hot before getting in. The hot water for some reason always seemed to calm her down, and she just loved the feeling. Every time she took a shower or ate a meal, she was reminded that these people took her in and gave her a home and family, and for the most part they were nice.