Chapter 2: First Classes

~~☆☾❀ -Y/n's POV- ❀☾☆~~

Hermione and I were sitting in the front row of Transfiguration, she had insisted on getting there early. Harry and Ron rush in, Hermione rolls her eyes in annoyance because they're late for class. A tabby cat is sitting on a desk.

"Whew, we made it. Can you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?"

The cat jumps off the desk and transforms into Professor McGonagall. The two boys are amazed.

"That was bloody brilliant."

"Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps if I were to transfigure Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocket watch, that way one of you might be on time."

"We got lost." Harry says quietly.

"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats."

Later, we're inside the potions classroom, the students are chattering, sitting near steaming cauldrons. The door slams open and Professor Snape comes rushing in.

"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few..." He looks at Draco, who smiles. I roll my eyes, "who possesses the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death." Snape sees Harry, writing what Professor Snape said in his lecture down, in his view, not paying attention. "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not... pay... attention. I nudged Harry, who was sitting next to me, finally making him look up to the Professor. Professor Snape then walks to where he can speak to Harry more properly. Mr. Potter. Our new celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Hermione and I raise our hands. Harry shrugs. "You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" Hermione and I raise our hands again.

"I don't know, sir."

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"I don't know, sir."

"Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything..." Draco has a smirk on his face, I want to punch him so bad, "is it, Mr. Potter?"

Harry stares at Professor Snape.

Great Hall

In the great hall, around midday. The students are all doing their homework. Seamus is trying a spell on a cup.

"Eye of rabbit, harp-string hum. Turn this water into rum. Looks in the cup and shakes head. Eye of rabbit, harp-string hum..."

"What's Seamus trying to do to that glass of water?" Harry asked me.

"Turn it into rum. Actually managed a weak tea yesterday, before-" I was cut off when a mighty flash occurred. The cup has exploded and Seamus is left charred. Several students laugh and Hermione fans away the smoke with her hand. Suddenly, a flock of owls start coming into the hall from the rafters above.

"Ah. Mail's here!"

The owls soar by, dropping parcels to students. Harry gets nothing. He sees the newspaper Ron has put down.

"Can I borrow this?" Ron nods, "Thanks."

Neville is unwrapping a gift. It is a clear glass ball with a gold banner around it.