14

Natsu

"Didn't I tell you how much I hate surprises?" He's covering my eyes with his hands. We're the clumsiest as can be while he leads me to the destination from behind. I'm trying not to laugh as much as he's trying not to trip over me.
It isn't until I hear the sound of crashing waves when my head forms a picture.

"It isn't a surprise anymore."
"You sure?"
He takes his hands away. Something in me blows open as light from every direction fills my vision.
It's just like how it was when we were by the ocean during our trip. I twirl around, hands out on either side. The ocean's turned to a golden orange; its waves are shimmering so much that I'm convinced it's adorned with thousands and thousands of gems. I dip my foot into the cool water, kick up shining droplets. The mist is fresh and crisp, the air cool and light.
"So, what do you th—"
I yank him into the water, laughing at the sound he makes when he falls in. "Now's your chance to get naked!"
He throws his cupped hands my way, beaning me in the face with a splash. We fight away, just like old times. Welcome back, he said. I grin when his hands can't grip me, sliding past with every effort to try and wrangle me out of the water. I keep on fighting until I realize he's dead set on doing this. Why?
When I stop at last, he takes me into his arms, lifting me up. I'm thrown down against the shore, sandwiched between him and the sand.
His eyes are louder than the ocean and wind combined. They're hungry.
Heated grains press into my dampened back. Water drops fall from his wet locks onto my face, racing across my skin. Let's do it again, I said.

"You... flaming idiot..."
I don't pick up on the fact that he's leaned in until it happens.
Just as the sun sinks beneath the sea, we merge into one. That's all I can comprehend as I melt into the sand, falling beneath his control. 
I love you.

- - -

"What... what happened?" 
I don't hear the waves anymore. Are we inside?
"You passed out," he says, touch softer than his voice while he brushes my hair. We are; white walls painted yellow by the sun surround us both, polished furniture placed about. I close my eyes. Something feels different below.
That's when it all comes flooding back.

"Y-You—" I jump up, bonking my head into his in the process. Channeling my inner spider monkey, I dart into a corner. "What did you do, pervert?!?! And where the hell am I?!"
"Ow! Ack, that hurt!"
I snatch a pillow, advance onto him with caution. He puts his hands up, scrambling for words. "H-Hey! You were okay with it!"
"Did I say yes?!"
The look he gives makes me land a solid blow. Confident he's gone out cold, I sit on top of him. "Even before I could confess, I just had to pass out and get taken from that sight. Dang it, you..."

"Oh? Confess? What's this?" He chuckles. Just kidding—'guess he's still alive.
I give him a good slap. A "you got me" expression is written over his face.

"What's that smell?" I say, sniffing up the delicious scent wafting in the air.
"I made the dish we had that night. We're at my place by the way. You'd better be happy this time."
"What? You're the one to blame—"
Never mind. It was me who made the fuss.
"Alright, get off. I have to prep our plates."
"No."
He sighs an even bigger sigh. "What do you want me to do?"
"Apologize."
"For what? Giving you the best time of your life?"
"I'm going to make you regret those words left your mouth," I say, grabbing his arm with both hands.
"Okay, okay! Tell me. I'll comply."
"Do it again tonight. But this time, make sure I'm awake by the end of it."
"That's up to you." His eyes narrow as he grins. I'm the one to sigh this time.

"I can't believe it." His voice is full with disappointment as we devour the chicken cutlets he made.
"What?"
"I didn't get to hear it," he says. "'Gray... I love you...'"
"I wonder why."
"Huh? Oh..." He smirks. I wipe it off by kicking his shin.
"I'm sad about that too, you know."
He's laughing hard. "I'm glad."
The pressure to act how we were in the past is long gone. All that's left is the freedom to be who we are now.