15

Gray

"Today's the big day," I say.
"How come?" The sun shines over passing people. The sound of the canal trickles as we walk beside it.
"Our secret might get out, depending on what happens."
"What do you mean?"
I scratch my head, looking about as I hold his hand. Even though Natsu's confidence is reassuring, I'm still sweating bullets. But one else seems to care so far.
"If someone like Lucy asks, I'll probably mask the truth."
"Lying is no good."
"Yeah, but..."
Before we know it, we're standing in front of the guild. It takes a while for him to let go.
"Act normal," I say.
"Whatever that means." I guess I didn't have to say anything because as soon as he lays eyes on his fellow guild mates, a fight breaks out. Hands in pockets, I meander through the chaos, whistling to myself. That is, until Lucy—Lucy, Erza, and Mira, I should say—drag me by force to their table.

"So..." I watch as ringleader Lucy drums her fingers together. The eyes of her subordinates sparkle unbearably bright. "Did you do it?"
Within less than a second later, I foil my own plan.
"I... did."
"..."
"Erza, where are you going?"
Before I can say another word, she's center stage.
"Attention guild members: I have an important announcement to make."
"Erza—"
"Gray and Natsu are together."

My gaze slowly careens to Natsu, who's frozen in a monkey-like pose and expression.

"I won't believe it until they kiss!" Soon after, the entire guild is chanting. I watch in a mix of bloodshot horror and rising adrenaline as Natsu is being pushed and shoved in my direction. When I blink again, he's right before me.
I'm holding my breath. He's looking at me without a single bit of nonchalance. The only time I've ever seen him this serious is during a life-or-death situation.
I guess if I give it more thought, this really is a life-or-death situation.

"Well?" he says. Everyone else and their voices fade away.
"'Guess there's no choice now," I say, forgetting how to do anything and everything but stare.
"You're good at predicting the future. Did Ultear teach you something?" These are the words he says before wrapping his finger around my pendant and pulling me in for a kiss.

I don't even hear it. The cheers and glass-clinking. The stomps and squeals and crashing of tables. I swear: while my eyes are closed, I'm somewhere else.

The brightness of everything is cranked all the way up when I open them again. Everyone is smiling our way. I think I might cry.
But then out of the corner of my eye, I spot a flash of blue dashing out the exit. And I realize a new problem has arisen.
Natsu's noticed something too. So we exchange a quick fist bump before running off in opposite directions.
I ignore all the questions and teases as I make my way through the crowd and into the light. Nothing matters but making sure my good friend is alright.

---

"Juvia!"
"No! Go away! Juvia does not want to see you!"
I knew this was going to be hard, but now that I'm actually confronting the issue at hand...
I take a moment to breathe in, breathe out.
"Juvia... can we talk?"
She freezes. I try to imagine how heartbroken I would be in her place, but can't. It would be too much. Guilt washes over like the biggest wave.

Eventually, she faces back to me. "Gray-sama wants to talk... to Juvia?"
"Yeah..." Rubbing the back of my neck and looking to the side, I think to myself how glad I am we're confronting each other right away.

Staring out at the empty field and resting on the walkway moments later, we sit in silence. Neither of us know what to say—rather, she's waiting for me.
"I'm sorry I've put you in this situation." After giving it some thought, I've decided not to beat around the bush. But what she says in return takes me by surprise.
"Juvia..." Her lip trembles. "Juvia knew you didn't feel the same. But..." She looks up, right at me. "Juvia loves you so much, that whatever makes you happy, Juvia will be happy. And if... if that means Gray-sama is with Na— I..." As she breaks down, I hold her for support. My eyes are wide, having realized the word that left her mouth at the end.