Coffee Conversations

Dan, Phil, James and Sebastian all walked down the path, the ground dotted with flowers. Four pairs of shoes left behind footprints in the slightly moist soil; two lots of hands were being held and one heavy weight was lifted off a certain blonde's shoulders now that his boyfriend was safe.

"Sebastian." James' soft voice interrupted the silence once again, though thankfully it wasn't a cry of shock like before.

"Yes?" Sebastian asked, looking down at his companion.

"You are aware that I am soaking wet, are you not?"

Sebastian's eyes widened slightly in shock and he turned to face Dan and Phil, who's eyes had also widened respectively in sudden realisation.

"We could get the coffee as a take out?" Sebastian offered meekly.

James rolled his eyes (he seemed to do that a lot, Phil noticed) but nodded nonetheless. The four boys continued on their way and arrived at the coffee shop not long after setting off.

"I'll wait outside." James said, looking down at his clothes in disdain.
"I'll stay also." Phil suggested, standing by James. Dan and Sebastian nodded in agreement and headed inside the coffee shop.

"So, uh, how are you?" Phil asked, attempting at making small talk with the rude fifteen-year-old.

"Positively sodden, Honey." James replied, picking at his nails. He looked up at Phil slightly, and spotted the resigned look upon the taller boy's face. "How are you... Phil?" James attempted to return the question to his accommodation.

Phil smiled slightly. "Not too bad, thanks. So... what, uh, what kind of things do you like?"

"Uhm, I like space. A lot. It's, like, my passion." James replied, albeit slightly awkwardly.

Phil beamed. "That's cool. Any particular area of space?"

"Not particularly. Just- well- everything, really. How we got here, the infinitive expanse of galaxies just itching to be discovered- the lot," James said wistfully. "What about you?"

"Film making, mostly. But I spend the majority of my free time listening to music. I love Muse," Phil smiled.

"Oh, I've heard their new song. Psycho, right? Sebby played it to me a day or two ago,"

"Isn't it great?"

"Yes, actually. I prefer 70s disco or classical music, but that song wasn't actually too bad," James stated.

Phil studied the interesting younger boy, before he full out grinned. "You know, you're not too bad,"

James smirked a little, looking up at Phil with a slightly mischievous glint in his brown eyes. "Not too bad yourself, Phillip,"

Phil chuckled slightly, giving the short brunet a friendly squeeze on the shoulder. Sebastian and Dan walked out, coffee in hand and smiled at the sight of their partners getting along. All four boys walked to a park full of children playing and couples walking, soaking up the sun.

They sat on the grass, James- despite his damp, though rapidly drying thanks to the warmth of the day, clothes- sat on Sebastian's lap, sipping his beverage.

They all chatted pleasantly sharing laughter and trading smiles, until James got up and stretched.

"'M bored. Someone play tag with me or something?" He asked hopefully. Phil got up and smiled.

"Yeah, sure. I will." He offered. James nodded and smiled in thanks, but squealed as Phil tagged him and sprinted off, with James following him.

Eventually, they changed games and the younger boy ended up on Phil's shoulders.

Dan and Seb watched their partners with twin smiles on their faces. James screeched out battle cries like a banshee as Phil ran about, the latter not seeming bothered by the weight of a fifteen-year-old boy.

Dan guessed James was quite light, or that he perhaps underestimated Phil's strength.

Dan turned to face the blonde sat next to him. "How did you meet James?" He asked curiously.

Sebastian turned to look Dan in the eyes. "Charlie Prowl." He muttered.

Dan frowned in confusion.

Seb sighed. "A right bastard. Didn't know how to pick on people his own size. James was five fucking years old. Five. And you know how small he is- like, he was fucking tiny. I was only six myself; saw Prowl beating 'im black and blue. James didn't help himself, though. Kept smartassing the person beating him. Brave fucker."

Sebastian chuckled and looked once more at his boyfriend.

"So, obviously, I go and help. I'm tall for my age, always have been and I was back then too. I knocked the bastard out. I approached James- he wasn't even crying- and took him back home to his brother John who cleaned him up. We became friends and then, well..."

Dan considered what Sebastian had just told him. "Phil's being beaten up... like, bullied."

Sebastian frowned deeply. "By whom?"

"Some asshole kids at school,"

"School? What school do you go to?"

"Winchester High,"

Sebastian looked thoughtful for a second. "I'm in the year above you."

Dan nodded, unsure of what this had to do with Phil.

"Don't worry Dan, once I'm with him he'll never touch Phil again."

Dan spluttered. "You- what?"

Sebastian nodded. "He won't know what hit him, quite literally."

"Talk to Phil about it. I don't... talk to Phil, okay?"

Sebastian nodded once more and the boys sat in content silence until a stick hit Seb in the side of the head.

"Ow! What the fuck?" He bellowed.

"Be gone, foul beast! For I am the beast hunter and this is my trusty horse." James screeched, pat Phil on the head.

"The fuck, Jay? I'm gonna kill you!" Sebastian roared, leaping to his feet.

James yelped and jumped off of Phil's shoulders and started sprinting off. Unfortunately for him, Sebastian was both faster and had very long legs.

James was tackled to the ground.

Dan was still sitting, laughing at the ordeal in front of him, when he felt two slim arms wrap themselves around his waist.

"James is crazy. Like actually mad. He's hilarious." Phil laughed.

Dan nodded. "Is he Irish? He sounds it."

"Yeah. He and his mum moved here when he was three."

Dan hummed and leant against Phil's warm chest.

"You're beautiful, you know." Phil murmured.

Dan felt his cheeks heat up. "I- uh- thanks." He replied, flustered.

"It's okay," Phil laughed. "I love you."

"I love you more, Phil."