Chapter 22

Cover on the side by malloreigh_caniff
Thank you so much for making this cover! I really appreciate it.

Chapter 22

I was still in a state of shock after hearing the news about Crash. Although I had been warned about him, I truly believed that he wasn't like other guys. When i had called him, I had said very foul words that I didn't even know were in my vocabulary. But of course, he denied everything. I was not stupid nor was I a girl that liked repetitious behavior. If he'd do this once, then who's to say he wouldn't do it again?

I wanted to stay angry all day. But I couldn't because Matt was here. He'd manage to get a short smile from me in less than five minutes. He's whole burger deal was outrageous but I could use it to my advantage. The burger seriously sounded disgusting.

I'm not sure what Matt's motives were but in the back of my head, I'm thinking that he really wanted Crash and I to break up. Was this his plan all along? Did anything that girl, Kira, said have truth in it?

Maybe I'm over thinking this. Maybe he wanted her to tell me because he was trying to protect me.

But why would he want to protect me?

"Here you go," A teenage waitress said, placing both of our orders down on the table. She smiled down towards us, handing another menu to me. "We have deserts too, if you'd like." She said, after handing it to me and walking off.

I stared down at my burger and winced once the smell hit my nose. I looked up at Matt, seeing that he was grinning from ear to ear.

He stood up with the same cheesy grin on his face. "Wait up, before you start."

I watched as he began sliding out the booth. "Where are you going?"

He smirked. "To make an announcement."

I raised an eyebrow. "An announcement for what?"

He rubbed his hands together. "If you're actually gonna attempt to eat that burger, you're gonna need a crowd."

My mouth hung open after hearing his words. I leaped up, ready to grab him and drag him back to our table but he was too quick for me. He began bolting towards the bar and grabbed the Mic that was behind the bar. He held up to his lips and began speaking, stirring everyone's attention towards the girl who would eat the Cheddar-and-Onion Smashed Burger.

*****

"Eat it! Eat it." A group of people cheered loudly as they banged their first against the tables and walls. Matt stood at the side of the table watching me as I stuffed my face with the burger.

Surprisingly when I had taken my first bite, the burger hadn't really tasted all that bad. But the smell of the burger was burning a hole in my nose. It reeked of burnt cheese and old onions.

I tried my best to ignore the smell but I must admit I gagged more than five times. The smell was somehow messing with the taste. With every bite, I felt as if I was eating a nasty smelly sock that a football player had worn for a month.

I looked up at Matt, watching him chuckle as I continued to finish the thick burger.

Everyone around us were chanting back and forth screaming for me to finish the burger. I did not want to get humiliated.

Although my throat was very dry and my breath probably smelled horrible right now, I continued to munch through the burger. When I'd eaten to my last bite, I held it up in satisfaction, a thin smirk plastered onto my face, showing Matt that I had just won this deal.

I tucked the last piece in mouth and wiped my greasy fingers into a paper napkin.

I then, stuck out my hand towards Matt, the crowd applauding me while cheering, seeing how I completed the burger is a smaller time frame than others.

"I think I just won our little deal." I said, grinning.

He smirked and started clapping his hands together, joining everyone else around us. Slowly, he began pulling my arm and tugging me towards the exit. Everyone else in the burger joint were still laughing, dancing and cheering.

I turned back, seeing people call my name. I smiled widely towards them and waved.

I was so shocked to actually feel myself smiling. Knowing how the previous events today went through, I thought I'd be sad and angry at Crash all day, but somehow Matt had managed to change whatever reckless emotions I was feeling into something better, something enjoyable.

"Thank you." I said randomly. That caught his attention and he turned and face me.

"Why are you thanking me?" He asked, his face filled with confusion.

I circulated my hands around us. "For this. For taking me out. Making me smile and laugh while eating a burger that smelt like dirty socks."

He let out a chuckle. "The burger smelt more like a mixture of rotten food rather than socks."  My laughter soon begin intertwining with his. And although this wasn't  like the first time Matt and I actually laughed together, it still felt comforting.

"Come on, let's get back before your mother has a hissy fit." He muttered, steering himself back to the car but abruptly, I reached out for this wrist and latched my fingers around it.

"Wait," I spoke softly, barely catching his attention with my words.

"What?" He asked.

I can't understand what it was that had come over me, but for reason, I had a dying desire to show him how much I appreciated his effort today on making me feel better. I pushed my body into his and latched my hands around his neck, pulling him into a tight hug.

I placed my head against his shoulder and melted into him.

He was unresponsive at first but soon raised his hands and locked them around my waist.

"You do the most weirdest and random things," He whispered into my hair.

I smiled and pitched his arm. "I'm not weird." He flinched and backed away.

"You just love to hurt me, don't you?" He rubbed his arm while I giggled away and began running to the car.

"Quit being such a baby. I already have Jamie to look after. One is enough." I smirked as I could see him following me, dashing after me ready for his next comeback.

And I was ready for whatever he had to throw.

*****

SHORT CHAPTER :( awwwwwww but don't be sad. The chapter would be longer but I decided that I didn't want to add in the dinner scene so soon. I wanted a full chapter of its own so all of you can personally enjoy Jessica's Grandmother :)  (Sarcasm was indeed intended there) We didn't make it to our goal for Chapter 21 on the 1,000 votes but I hope we can get 1,000 votes on Chapter 22 :D Comment down below on how you think Jessica's Grandma will act? 

btw I am randomly updating on mostly Thursdays or Fridays. 

Thank you to malloreigh_caniff for making the cover to the side. If anyone has any skills in cover making, pls send it to me via PM and I will display it and dedicate the chapter to you!