Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I didn't know what to do now.  When my mother had called out for us to return to the table, I simply ignored her. I ignored all the stares we were getting from other people in the restaurant. I wasn't ashamed of anything I had said. I was more proud than ashamed. I smiled to myself as I stepped outside and the cool air touched my skin. Matt was close behind and I knew he was probably in deep thought as well.

I turned to him and tugged on his arm. "Come on," I told him.

His eyes glowed in the night and he chuckled as he spoke. "Where could we possibly be going after you just talked your grandmother down like that for me?"

I nervously looked down at my hands as we walked to the car. I didn't want him to necessarily feel as though I had talked my grandmother off for him. Although, it was true.  I did it entirely for him. But for some reason I didn't really want him to know that.

I cleared my throat. "Hey, I didn't do it because of you. My grandmother has been making me feel a certain way for a while now. Her personality just rubs me the wrong way, you know?" I said.

I fished for the keys and pulled them out and unlocked the car. We got in but Matt hadn't responded to my comment. He still appeared distant. I could tell that what my grandmother had said earlier had really affected him and I knew the only way to cheer him up is to act as if her words meant nothing.

"Hey," I said, casually hitting his arm with my elbow as I backed out the parking space and began leaving the parking lot.

He turned to me, his brown eyes telling more than his lips were. I tried to ignore his look and smiled at him.

"We still have a long night until we have to get back home, so any suggestions?" I asked.

I didn't want to even go home. I knew once I stepped foot in that house that my mom would be giving me a lecture on how rude I was at dinner. Of course, she would try her best to ignore my grandmothers faults and attack my behavior instead.

He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Any place will work for me, Jess."

I nodded at his response and decided to not try to deepen the conversation. We drove in silence to the closest fast food restaurant and went throw the drive through. I didn't want to eat inside the restaurant. I just wanted a simple meal and a quiet calm place to eat. And by the looks of it, I'm sure Matt would agree.

After getting out food, I drove us to a near by beach. I closed my eyes as I could smell the fresh scent of the water as I lowered my window. Matt looked around our surroundings and turned to me.

"I hope you're not trying to seduce me, Jessie." His deep voice caught my attention.

I quickly turned to him as my eyes widen. "What?"

He pointed out at the beach. "First, you stick up for me at dinner with your grandmother and mom, which, I may say, really turned me on, then you drag me away to this lovely beach, alone and deserted and now you roll down your window and start moaning out of the blue. If you wanted a little action tonight, Jess, all you had to do was ask." He leaned over a bit, seeming as if he was going to kiss me.