Chapter 26

Chapter 26

[ Matt's POV ]

This was all wrong and I knew that. There was no way they could have found drugs in my bag. When I did that last drop off, the bag had been empty and I had told my boss that I was done with selling. I was done with all this drug shit. I couldn't live with myself knowing that I could possibly put Jessica and her family in danger.

It was a set up and I knew the exact person that could have done this.

Crash.

I had spoken to him a few days ago, before all this happened and he was pissed that I had told Jessica what he was really up to. So this was payback.

I could still remember what he had said to me the last time he saw me.

"If I can't have her, you can't either."

I thought that fool was bluffing. Never did I ever think he would sneak into Jessica's house and put drugs in my bag. He probably was following us last night and saw that we left the restaurant. He probably even told Jessica's mom where to find the drugs. I sighed to myself deeply as I remember the look on her face.

She looked scared and disappointed.

I didn't like that look on her face. It made me feel like more of a dickhead then I already did.

I needed to see her. I needed to see her so I could explain and tell her the truth.

But then there was a little voice in my head telling me, She would never believe you.

A few days past until I decided I would make a call. Call her. I hoped that she would answer me. But if she didn't, I don't think I would ever leave this hellhole.

****

[ Jessica's POV ]

It had been a few days since Matt's arrest and I had been walking around the house like a zombie. I didn't talk to my mom much, I hardly played with Jamie and I rarely called Vanessa. She came to visit me but I ignored her knocking on my door.

Something just didn't feel right about what was going on. I didn't believe that this could be true.

Now here I was soaking in my sadness in bed while it was about to be three o'clock.

Suddenly my phone began to ring. I look over at it, knowing for a fact that is was probably Vanessa calling me. But to my surprise, the ID read , Unknown Number.

I was hesitant at first but picked up.

The sound was really low and I could hear a machine's voice of a woman muttering some words. I didn't really hear what she said but I did hear something about 'inmate'.

The call patched in and in less than a second, I hear low breathing.

I turn the volume up on my phone and wait.

"Jessica?" Matt's voice vibrates through my ears and I shoot out the bed and get on my feet.

"Hello? Matt? What's going on? How could you lie to me like that? You never told me--" he cuts me off.

"Jessica, I know. Listen to me, I believe I was set up. I didn't have those in my room. The bag was completely empty last time I checked. The stuff they found aren't mine. You gotta believe me on this." His voice sounded weary and tired.

I ran my hand roughly over my face. "Matt, what are you talking about?"

"Look, a while ago, I had a very deep conversation with Crash. He was angry that you knew the truth. I told him you deserved to know and we started getting a bit physical. The last thing I remember him saying was that he would get me back. And that if he couldn't have you, then I couldn't either."