Chapter 1

Chapter 1

My mother's face fell from what she just heard Matt say. He looked serious; dead serious. I had to hold in my laughter as my mother looked between him and I.

"Uh, dear, there is no need to use any bush around here. The bathroom is in the main hallway downstairs. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding it." My mother said as she gave me a look that said: we need to talk.

I quickly stepped aside, knowing that he was going to probably hit my shoulder with his. He went into our house, looking around for the bathroom as my mother grabbed my arm and led me towards our family room.

Once we reached there, she closed the door behind her but left a crack open so we could hear both Matt and Jamie.

She sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. "Look, I know what you're about to say but-"

"What? Something like he needs manners and proper etiquette? Mom, I know that you think this is hard on me but it's not." I told her. "I'm actually happy that he's here.....well I was....before he I actually saw him and before he opened his mouth." I said.

She smiled at me. "I just want to help him out. He's mom was one of my close, close friends back in high school and she steered herself in the wrong way and I can already see how he turned out. I just want to help him, you know?"

"Yeah, I kind of-"

"WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

The sound of Jamie's cry made both me and my mother turn and leave the family room in a hurry.

Gosh, I hope this geezer didn't touch my baby sister.

We bolted upstairs in a quick swift, going down the hall to find Jamie's bedroom door opened slightly, how I left it before when she was put down for her nap.

My mother entered first and we both saw Jamie in her crib, leaning on the railing with her hands slightly hanging. She was fine, just woke up. I was glad that Matt didn't come in here to attack her.

My mother picked Jamie up and kissed her. "It's alright, mommy's here."

She sniffled a bit then relaxed in my mother's arms.

"See sissy. Say hi to sissy." Mom said.

Jamie rose her head off my mother's shoulders and waved at me, slightly smiling in the process.

"Would you be a doll and bring her downstairs while I get Matt and show him around the house? Afterwards we can all sit down for dinner and talk?"

I nodded and placed my hands out for Jamie. She quickly jumped from my mother's arms into mine and started to play with my earrings.

On my way downstairs, my phone vibrated in my pocket, indicating that I got a text. I ignored it until I reached the living room. I sat on the floor with Jamie in my lap. I pulled out my phone to see the text I just got.

Vanessa: tell me the deets.

I slightly rolled my eyes at my annoying best friend. Last night I was telling her all about our new house guest. She was as excited as I was; even a little more I think.

Me: he just came. Chill ur balls will ya?

Vanessa: Fine but txt me later.

Jamie tried to grab my phone but I quickly move it, causing her to throw a tantrum so I quickly sent Vanessa a quick 'k' and handed her my phone.

Sometimes having a younger (much younger) sister isn't the ideal life that a teenager would want to live.

My mother came downstairs after about 20 minutes.

She motioned for me to go in the kitchen with her so I did so.

"How was he?" I asked.

"Pretty good, I guess. He didn't really say much about anything." She informed me. "He's upstairs freshening up. Place her into her playpen so we can start dinner."

I did so and helped my mother out for dinner. I loved cooking. It was something that I was really good at. My dad taught me to cook. Since he was a traveler, he would teach me traditional recopies from all around the world.

There was good parts and bad parts about having a parent that travels a lot.

The good part being that he always taught me new things and he always brought stuff back for me and Jamie. The bad part? Well I guess an expert will know that already; he's never home.

Our meal considered of rice, steak, macaroni, and vegetables. I helped make the table and placed Jamie into her high chair.

"Mom, isn't Matt coming to eat with us?" I asked, very curious as to why he wasn't down yet.

She nodded her head as she separated the carrots from the broccoli. "Go up there and get him, will ya?"

I nodded my head. Finally, I could get a chance to talk to him. I bolted upstairs in a hurry. My mom showed me where his room would be; our first guest room.

I knocked on his door three times but there was no answer. I pushed it slightly, leaving a crack so I could see. The room was completely dark. The only light that was probably coming in was the light from the beautiful sunset.

Immediately once I stepped in, his husky voice came from the corner of the room, where he sat on his bed.

"What do you want?"

Completely shocked, I forgot everything that I was going to say to say. "Uh, dinner is ready."

He huffed and placed both of his elbows on his knees, running his hands through his dark hair. "I'll be down in a minute."

I frowned. I felt dismissed.

I was on my way of turning away, but my mind wouldn't let me just leave without asking him at least one question.

"What happened to your lip?" I asked.

He lifted his head and stared at me, blankly. "What do you think happened to my lip?"

"Uh...you didn't win the fight?"

He rolled his eyes at me and fell back on his bed. "Believe what you want, close the door behind you when you leave."

My eyes bulged out of my head.

Why is he so mean?

I closed his door-no scratch that-I slammed his door shut and went downstairs with my mom and Jamie to eat dinner.

He could stay up there and rot for all I care.