Chapter 13: Sortie

3rd Person POV

Azur Lane

Blinking, Striker opened his eyes and stretched. Feeling a small weight on his chest, he looked down and saw Hornet lying beside him, her head on his chest, her blond hair sprawled around her.

"Morning, Sheila," Striker greeted.

Hornet opened her eyes. "How'd you know I was awake?"

"Aside from the fact that you were literally using me as a pillow and sneaking peeks at me, how could I ever guess?" Striker deadpanned.

"Fair enough," Hornet conceded and stood up, Striker following. "But in my defense, you're very comfortable."

"Thanks... I think."

Smiling, Hornet kissed him on the cheek before turning and looking up at the sky. "We've been out here all night?" she asked in surprise.

"Guess so," Striker replied. "We should probably let the others know we're alright."

Hornet nodded, and the two of them headed inside, passing under the stone arch on the way in.

As they walked down the smooth pathway to the academy, Striker caught several shipgirls glancing at them. Orochi, I am going to kill you if they're whispering about what I think they're whispering about, he thought.

"What do ya think they're looking at?" Hornet asked, eyeing some of the shipgirls, who quickly turned away.

"Well, I'm not really sure they're looking at the blond beauty next to me, so it must be something else," Striker commented, shooting her a grin.

Hornet rolled her eyes and punched him in the arm. "Sweet talk ain't gonna get you anywhere anytime soon."

"It got me somewhere last night," Striker pointed out.

"You were nervous as Hell, and you know it."

"Fair enough."

Hearing boots clicking on the pavement, they turned and saw Yorktown walking toward them. "We were wondering where you two were last night," she commented with a smile.

"Right, cause you totally weren't stalking us," Striker deadpanned.

Yorktown shrugged. "Hornet was always easy to follow."

"Hey!"

"It's true," Enterprise agreed, walking up. "It seems the two of you were busy last night."

"How many...?" Striker trailed off.

"Everyone," Yorktown replied, answering his unasked question. "And I must say, you two make quite the couple." Her eyes narrowed. "However, Striker, I wish to speak with you. Alone."

Striker gulped but followed Yorktown out of earshot of Hornet, followed by Enterprise.

"Now," Yorktown said, turning to Striker. "I want you to answer me truthfully. Do you love my sister?"

"Yes," Striker answered without hesitation.

"And you would protect her?"

"With my life."

"That part is true," Enterprise said, and her eyes narrowed at Striker. "However, if you hurt her, you'll find out just why I'm known as the strongest Eagle Carrier here." Her eyes flashed gold.

Striker nodded. "Understood, Sheila. And trust me, I'd rather shoot myself point-blank with a railgun before even thinking of hurting Hornet."

"Good," Yorktown said, satisfied. "In this case, I approve. However, please do try to show some restraint. I do not believe this base is fit for any more Battlecarriers than it has."