Piece by piece

"Addison!" Derek yelled in that stern tone she knew all too well.

He called her name in the same tone anytime he was mad at her, as if he still held the same power he once did as her husband.

They hadn't really spoken much since their awkward conversation that morning at her apartment.

And now he's yelling.

"Why are you saying my name like that!" Her voice was covered in annoyance as she turned around.

"Why didn't you bother to tell me my sister is here!"

"Gee, the thought never occurred to me." She said sarcastically.

"Seriously Addison."

Seriously Derek." She copied his tone.

"You know she makes my life a living hell anytime she comes here!"

"I was going to tell you ok? I just-"

"When? He interrupted. "After she finally decides to grant me my wish of her leaving!"

"My gosh, you're so dramatic! no, Derek, my patients have had a lot of complications lately and it slipped my mind, as If you can't relate cus' it's not like you're head of neuro or anything."

"If Bizzy or the Caption were to show up unannounced I would tell you right away regardless of anything else. Why are you laughing! There's clearly nothing funny about this." He scoffed. "Addison!"

"I'm sorry." She said, as she regained composure. "You're just so immature sometimes."

"I'm having flashbacks of med school." Amelia snorted, she'd be lurking around the corner for a few minutes.

Derek rolled his eyes. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Not sure, I'm Just ya know, minding my business." She smirked.

"You do everything but that."

"At least I'm not Nancy."

"Speaking of, make yourself useful and tell her to go away."

"Shepherd, Montgomery, neither of you have any excuse to argue in the middle of my hospital anymore!" Richard snapped. "And other Shepherd, stop spying on people like a preschooler and get back to work!"

                                  ***

"You look rough." Mark smirked as Jessie walked over to the nurse's station, "What happened to your face.. and your hair?"

"Bite me."

"Someone's crabby today, do you need a happy meal?" He teased.

She slammed the chart on the desk rather loudly "No! What I need is to not have my hair pulled out and face clawed off by an angry 6-year old that doesn't want an IV!"

"Did I miss something? I thought you wanted to be a pediatric heart surgeon."

"I do My patience is just low today! I'm usually great with kids, honestly more annoyed with myself."

"Hey look on the bright side kid, Meredith stopped bullying you." He patted her shoulder.

"Can you not call me kid anymore?" She rolled her eyes, "And I think Meredith is just having a major mid-life crisis, she still hates me."

"Or maybe, she just realized she was being immature."

Only time would tell.

                                                           ***
"Do you even remember anything that happened Mer?" Izzie blurted out randomly.

She gave her a questioning look in a response Um yeah, how drunk do you think I was?"

"Well, obviously not as drunk as Addison but still the whole thing seemed kind of unrealistic."

"Especially now," Alex mumbled stuffing his mouth with Doritos.

"Look I know where this is going, I don't hate Jessie anymore but I will give all of you your moment to pick your jaws up off the floor."

"I would say it's not that shocking but I mean you're Meredith."  Lexie tried to say nicely.

"Gee thanks."

"Dude, what even happened that made you realize that you were treating her the way you should've treated McHot?"

"I don't know." Meredith shrugged. "Nothing really happened, I just sort of realized how stupid I looked for treating my husband's daughter like she was his mistress or something."

"Again I wish you would've treated Addison like that, she needed to be knocked off her high horse, maybe you were taking your anger towards her out on Jessie."

"Oh please Cristina, are you seriously implying that I have unresolved anger issues towards Derek's ex?"

"You're not getting it, not in the sense that she's a threat, but just for making Derek sort of a little too secretive about his life."

"Are you guys forgetting that I didn't know him when he was with her? He could've been that way all along and just didn't really have anything to hide at the time."

"Do you actually think you and Jessie will get along now at least somewhat?"

"I mean, me and you still get along." she gestured to Lexie across the table. "It's not like we slowly became best friends I just sort of woke up one day and decided to tolerate you."

"Hey!" She yelled offended.

"But, obviously you and me are close now, but I don't know if I can see myself having a relationship with her, it's almost like asking me to call my dad every day it just feels weird, It's not like I'm close with Destiny either."

"Basically you're lucky he loves you enough to accept your numbness towards his kids and he's lucky you haven't left him for all the life-changing secrets he's kept from you," Alex uttered nonchalantly earning a slap from Izzie.

"What?! Mostly the second part!"

"When you put it like that you make our relationship seem toxic." Meredith quipped.

"Your relationship isn't toxic, you both just have a lot of issues that don't necessarily mesh well together all of the time."

"Or maybe inside I'm just a crazy lovesick teenager and he's secretly a serial killer,"

"I hate to ask this right now but what happens when you guys have a kid? Don't you think it might hurt Derek to see how different you will be your baby?" April asked curiously, she had been observing the conversation without saying a word but now clearly made everyone uncomfortable with her sudden deep question.

"Kepner, I have a hard time understanding how you are a doctor when you never seem to know when it's not a good time to say crap like that."

Unfortunately, it was all kind of true though, Meredith didn't have any kind of relationship with Derek's kids, he somewhat understood why she didn't with Jessie, but Destiny was a little girl and obviously, if they were to have a child of their own together it would more than likely take a huge toll on their marriage, She didn't do the whole family thing but family was practically Derek's middle name, they made it work for the most part, and accepted the things about each other they couldn't love. they made it work, but would it always work?