Secrets and sacrifices

Is that everything?" Lexie asked Derek as they loaded the last suitcase into the trunk.

"Maybe you should ask me that when it's not four in the morning." He groaned.

"Mom really? you pretty much packed your entire closet!"

"And the fact that most of it is just shoes."

Addison rolled her eyes, "Shut up Derek nobody asked you!"

"Guys lighten up! We are going to have a blast!" Amelia beamed enthusiastically.

"I'm so excited!" Izzie replied, "Thank you so much for letting me come."

"No problem blondie."

***

Three hours into the drive and Jessie, Izzie, and Amelia were belting the lyrics to "because of you" while Addison yelled at Derek over his driving, everybody else was currently asleep.

"Oh my gosh, Meredith's snoring!" Mark uttered, startling the crap out of Lexie.

"My gosh, Mark I thought you were asleep, outburst one more time and see what happens!" She scoffed, whacking him with a pillow.

"I'm up seriously, no way I could get any sleep with all this estrogen in the car anyway."

"Settle down kids." Amelia joked, I don't want to have to separate you two."

"Derek you drive slower than a confused old man! at this point, I'd be surprised if we got there before next year!"

"Oh, and you could do better?! I didn't know driving like a maniac was the solution!" He shot back.

"I think it's them you need to separate." Jessie snorted, motioning towards her bickering parents.

"Well, that's what happens when you put exes in the same vehicle, Alex and I are the same way." Izzie added.

"Are you kidding me blondie?! You should've seen them when they were married, it was a million times worse than this, one time I even had to call my mom cus' I thought they were gonna flip the car over."

"Amelia, you know we can hear you right?"

"I'm a surgeon too now ya know you can't scare me anymore." She retorted.

Derek laughed "Yeah right."

"She has a point, I still don't understand why I went to Connecticut with you two freaks every year for thanksgiving." Mark snorted.

"Don't get me started on that!"

"No seriously, I felt like an abused little boy being in the middle of you guys."

"You have no room to talk." Jessie argued jokingly.

"Dammit Derek you missed the exit!" Addison lectured.

"So now I'm driving too fast?! five seconds ago I was a demented old man!"

"I said confused old man! And I can't help I have to pee."

"Well maybe if you didn't drink thirty cups of coffee before the sun even came up you wouldn't have to!" He spat.

"It was two, two cups! And this is a 19 hour drive Derek! People are going to have to pee."

"Bow down to queen Addison."

"Derek I swear to gosh if you say that again I will freaking piss in one of these cups and dump it all over you!"

"Children calm down! There's a McDonalds up the road about ten miles." Mark interjected.

"Are the three stooges just going to sleep the whole way there?"

"Probably."

Jessie shrugged. "It's just weird, I didn't expect it to go like this. And no offense Mark but I thought it would be more awkward, I'm still kind of mad at you."

"Hey, at least we're getting somewhere kid." He laughed, padding her on the shoulder from behind.

"It's in the past, as much as I hate to admit it you're family, so I guess I'm stuck with ya."

The air filled with silence for a moment before Mark syed," I really am sorry, ya know for everything."

Jessie could see hear the sincerity in his words Well, it's your lucky day then because, I have come to the conclusion that I forgive you." Jessie replied, which caused them both to burst out laughing.

"I'm so proud of my kids." Amelia joked.

"Shut up." They both said in unison.