We own the night

That night Jessie was a mix of emotions and kind of a mess she thought about her childhood and how things were before the 6 years of her life with none of her family, she thought about being a little girl and how she was already telling everyone she wanted to be a heart surgeon by the time she was 3, she thought about how she used to put on her mom or dad's scrubs screaming "I help people with big stomachs!" or "I help people with broken noggins!" she remembered Amelia giving her her first stethoscope on her 11th birthday. She wondered how her favorite aunt was doing and if she was still in New York, Amelia had tried contacting her many times after Jessie left as well, but she never answered because she knew even if she asked her not to tell anyone in the family where she was... it would still somehow come out, but she missed her they were always two peas in a pod.

                              ***

Addison had texted Jessie that she could come over later and Derek would come too, after her shift was over she headed there.

As she got closer to her mom's apartment she started to think about how they got here, the big fight her and her mom had the day before she left New York started playing back in her head.

"Hey sweetheart come on in, Derek greeted her and gave her a big hug, "your mom will be back in a minute she just went to put Destiny to bed."

"dad I think I want to call Amelia." she blurted out randomly without intending to.

"Uh ok honey, let me get my phone out."

"hey! There she is!" Addison exclaimed walking into the room before bringing her in for a big hug as well.

"Mom I think I'm going to call Amelia, but I need you or dad to tell her who's about to talk to her before I get on, I'm too scared to be the first to talk"

"oh um, ok honey that's fine" Addison replied.

"what if she doesn't want to talk to me though?"

"are you kidding? she never stopped asking about you, and talking about all the fun times she had with you before you left" Derek reassured her.

"wait she's here? In Seattle?"

"Well no, she lives in Manhattan, and works as a Neurosurgery fellow at New York General, but she FaceTimes me and your dad every day and never stops talking about you."

Jessie began to tear up hearing that.

"I'm going to put her on speaker and me and mom will say we have a surprise for her and then I will give the phone to you."

"ok," Jessie rubbed her hands together nervously.

the phone rang for a minute before they heard a  familiar perky voice answer.

"Hey, big bro! what's up?"

"Amelia we have a surprise for you," Addison said trying not to get emotional.

"Yeah, here she is" Derek handed Jessie the phone, "hello?"

"oh my gosh is that my Jessie Messy?" Amelia yelled happily.

"yeah it's me, Aunt Amelia, I'm in Seattle now, I- I've been living in California but I don't know what I was thinking."

"Oh my gosh" she began to cry tears of joy, "I can't believe it's your kiddo! You have no clue how much I missed you! I will seriously be there next week! I have to see you! and I always knew you had an obsession with California but I never thought you'd drop everything to move there." she joked.

"I really don't know what the hell I was thinking, and You don't have to leave your job and everything just to come to see me I've caused everyone so much pain."