18. Helping the bully

Harry

At the end of the school day Louis had one last class while I was free. But considering the fact that I almost live at his now, we agreed for me, to wait for him, to drive us 'home'. It feels weird calling it 'home', however, I feel more at home with Louis, Jay and the girls than I ever did with my dad. I close my locker for the day and make my way to the library, trying to finish 'the great Gatsby' for the second time.

"Please don't..." I hear someone beg from one of the classrooms. The voice gives me chills for multiple reasons. First of for the fact that I, myself, have said those words one to many times. Secondly, because I have said those words to the person that is currently begging. Zayn.

For half a second I figure that I should let him have a taste of his own medicine. But after I hear him in pain, probably from a hit, I remember what I went through. And I wouldn't wish that upon even my worst enemy.

So in one second I'm bursting through the door of the classroom, only to find Zayn lying on the floor with the new kid hovering over him. I feel my hands shaking, my legs threatening to give in. But there is no way I'm leaving him alone now. I take a deep breath before shouting

"What the fuck do you think you are doing" as I utter those words I take a few quick steps forward getting between them, giving zayn some security.

"Get out of the way kid..." is he aware that I'm taller than him "...or I will punch your face in" brendons says, trying to act all scary. Well it's working. I'm shitting myself, but I know how to fight back this time around, and I will defend myself, and zayn apparently, without a doubt

"I would like to see you try"

"Why the fuck are you defending the emo and faggot over there. He deserves this. Don't you see?"

"Huh, never taught zayn was gay-"

"I'm not!" Zayn interrupts, I send him a glare which shuts him up

"Zayn may not be gay, but I am Bi, that's half way to gay, if it helps your tiny little pea of a brain to get" I continue

"Why is this fucking school full of faggots" Brandon says angrily

"Oh don't you worry, there if place for you too in the club" I answer with with an added wink in his direction. Where my courage came from, is a million dollar question. But let's just roll with it.

I see his face becoming red, smoke coming out of his ears. Clenching his fists. In one quick motion he is bringing his fist towards my face. But even quicker I'm blocking his punch and delivering my own. But I'm better, quicker and stronger, so he doesn't stand a chance when my fist collides with his face. He falls to the floor immediately. Knocked out.

I check his pulse, just in case, before turning to zayn. Who is still laying on the floor, with a bloody nose and a black eye in the making. Somehow even with him being beaten down, I find myself almost cowering away. 'Fake it til you make it' I hear Lottie say, and decide to offer my hand.

He is unsure about accepting my help, probably just noticed that I'm fully capable of delivering a deadly punch.

I sigh before saying "let's get you out of here and cleaned up before this dickhead wakes up"

He nods and takes my hand, letting me help him up. I don't let him walk alone to the bathrooms, because I know the risks of waking directly after a beating. He would probably faint, or at least fall down due to weakness.

I help him wash of the blood and walk him to the lockers. While he is taking stuff from his locker, I lean my back against the one besides him.

"You should probably get some ice for the bruise as soon as you get home"

"Harry-"

"And maybe check on that nose"

"Harry-"

"Oh and you head may-"

"Harry!" After that I shut up

"Thank you" I just look at him and nod

"No seriously Harry, thank you, you saved me. Saved me after everything I have done to you. I'm so so sorry..." I just look down at my feet, not quiet sure what to do. He has done enough damage for me to forgive him after a quick 'I'm sorry'.

"I know this isn't enough, this quick 'I'm sorry'..." oh so he is a mind reader too "...but I am. I'm so fucking sorry. You didn't deserve that. It's just.." he stops

"It's just what?"

"It's just that when I started this school I saw you as this perfect guy, prefect gradesX, perfect friends, perfect family" I almost choke on air at 'perfect family'. But he continues. "And I wanted for something to be imperfect with you. So when I found out you were gay" I give him a questioning look. After everything he still thinks of that as an imperfection, and I'm not gay I'm-

"Sorry, Bi, not gay, Bi, that's what I meant..." it's confirmed, mind reader. "... and it's not an imperfection, I know that. But my whole life I was told that it's wrong to be anything but straight, saw people getting killed for that. And than I taught that I could stick to that."

"That's really fucked up... but I get it" I answer

He nods before speaking again. "And Louis was easy to manipulate, I still think he isn't straight, but I used that to turn him on you, and that may be even more fucked up. And I'm well aware that I don't deserve your forgiveness, but I am sorry, and I will do anything you need and want to get at least a bit closer to it" by now I think I see actual tears in his eyes.

"It's fine... "

"No it isn't fine, and it will never be fine" he puts one of his hands on my shoulder, squeezing, and for the first time I'm not afraid, I believe him, I believe his apology. I nod at him. But before I get to answer, Louis appears from behind zayn and rips him away.

"What the fuck do you think that you are doing to him zayn"

"I didn't-" zayn tries

"Get the fuck away from him or I swear to god-" as he lifts his arm, ready to take action, I once again step between zayn and someone who is ready to beat him up.

"Louis. Hey Louis, look at me" he still doesn't "LOU, look at me" finally "zayn didn't hurt me"

"But there is blood on your shirt!" Louis almost screamed

"It's not mine, it's probably brendons" he looks at both of us confused. Zayn slowly stands up and appears from behind me.

"Brendons was kicking my ass" he stops to point at his face " before Harry here came in and knocked him out with a punch"

Louis is still a bit unsure , maybe even shocked.

"It's true, it's probably his blood" I chip in. Louis nods and apologizes to zayn. But zayn dismisses him and tells him that he gets it and deserves it. No one disagrees with him. And we all take a big breath.

"Uhh..." Louis interrupts the silence "Liam and Niall asked if we want to go out and get a bite after school"

"Sure" I answered

Then Louis turns to zayn "wanna join?"

"Nah it's okey, I should probably-"

"You should come" I interrupt, with one of my big smiles. I'm tiered of being mad at zayn, sue me, but I need a break.

"Uhh, yeah. Sure"

So here I am, on the way to meet my friend and one of my former bullies, with two of my former bullies besides me. Interesting.