Chapter One Hundred and Twenty-One

Songs for this chapter:
• Complicated - Olivia O'Brien

Chapter One Hundred and Twenty-One:

Lexi's POV

All of the air is forced out of my lungs.

My eyes meet Lydia's.

"What?"

She folds her hands in her lap and stares down at her entwined fingers with a smile, still perched on the edge of Bryce's bed. "He's not my boyfriend. Our manager planned a few strategic appearances for us to make the public believe that we are together. We aren't, though. We haven't even confirmed our relationship to the press. I also have a boyfriend. You remember Theo, right? Him and I are together."

I nod at her, numb and unable to speak.

Lydia then stands up from her seat and turns to face me. "I'll give you three some privacy. You're his family."

She turns so that her back is to me and begins to walk to the doorway. She lifts her hand to grasp the handle before pausing and looking over her shoulder at me.

"Oh, and Lexi?"

I raise my eyebrows.

"You can't tell anyone what I just told you. It's confidential information. Keep it a secret for me, okay?" she says calmly.

I swallow past the lump in my throat and nod.

Lydia gives me one of those bright, charming smiles of hers, the smile I've seen on magazine covers at the grocery store far more times than I can count.

"Good. I'll be outside if you have any other questions."

And then Lydia slips out of the room, the door clicking shut after her.

I take a seat on the edge of Bryce's bed. I lean down to press my forehead against his with a shuddering sigh.

"I . . . I don't even know what to say. I messed up. I messed up so badly, Bryce," I whisper.

A single tear escapes me and rolls down my cheek before dropping onto Bryce's face. I brush it away with my thumb and sniffle.

"I was so convinced that you had broken your promise to me. I was so convinced that . . . that you moved on, that you were done waiting for me, that you found someone so much better. I was ready to try again, to try us again, but then the same day I was going to go to your apartment and tell you, I saw the news about you and Lydia, and I realized that I care for you enough to let you go if it meant someone else could make you happier. All I want is for you to be happy, baby, and if I can't make you happy, then you deserve someone who can."

I look up at Nessa and Matt to find them both watching me with silent tears rolling down their cheeks.

I fumble for Bryce's hand as I ask, "Did you guys know? That it wasn't real? That he wasn't dating her?"

A sob escapes Nessa's lips. "Yes. And I thought you did, too. When I came to see you that night at the theatre, that's what I came to tell you. But you said you already knew, and that you had a boyfriend. Now I realize that this was all a big, giant misunderstanding." Her gaze snags on Bryce again and she sniffles. "I shouldn't have left the theatre until I told you. You told me you already knew, but there was no way you could've known the whole story. I should've known better."

I squeeze Bryce's hand tighter and shake my head furiously. "Nessa, don't say that. It's my fault. I shouldn't have cut you off and told you to leave."