2: Between the Layers of Stories

Weekends were different to weekdays, mostly because I didn't visit the library... but I never went a day without books. Instead, I worked at the bookshop around the corner from my place in Highgate. 

Saturday and Sunday were pretty uneventful though. Of course, we were really busy given the increased customers during the tourist season. With good weather on the way, many from around the world had flocked to London to take in its history and grandeur while it wasn't overcast with misery. But the days passed quickly, bringing the new week with it.

I eagerly arrived at the library Monday morning, curious as to whether I would see him once more. Wondering how his weekend was. And, to my heart's delight, he was at his usual seat. 

Our eyes locked as I had rounded that corner, but this time a smile graced his face.

Taking a deep breath, I walked over to his table and said, "May I sit with you today?" 

He stared back with his eyes slowly widening as the seconds ticked on, not saying anything in response for a while. 

Evidently the weekend of talking to customers had instilled some misinformed sense of confidence in me, which waned as the silence continued to grow. 

But then he eventually said back ever so softly, "I think I'd like that."

With the corners of my lips turned upwards, I took the seat opposite him, pulling my belongings out and setting them up. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him rest his elbows on the table and his head on his hands, watching me.

"What?" I asked.

"Always the same." He pointed at each item as he spoke. "Pens, book, pencil case, laptop, then reading book."

"I like structure," I defended.

"I noticed."

He did?

He shook his head, a slight amused smile colouring his face. "You can have your seat back from tomorrow."

I stopped setting up and looked at him. "Are you not coming?"

His eyes searched mine, as if considering what he was going to say. "I wasn't going to."

I couldn't help myself. "Why?"

"I'm almost finished reading everything I came for." But echoes of the unsaid haunted his words.

I didn't know why I was desperate. I supposed I had grown attached to having him around. But now that I was finally talking to him, it felt like the little bit of magic in my life was about to disappear as quickly as it came. And while I knew good things never last, I didn't want this to end just yet. So I implored, "What did you come for?"

"To learn more about vampires."

I pursed my lips. "What have you read?"

Pointing to a set of shelves he said, "Everything down that aisle."

"Everything?"

He nodded.

"All mythology texts, fables, short stories, longer fiction..."

Another nod.

I crossed my arms over my chest, determined to not let him think he was finished, but also questioning how he could have possibly read every book in the very long library aisles in only two days... unless he was here on the weekend. But even still... "No. You have more to read."

"Do I now?" His brows raised as he leaned back in his chair.

Flipping through my research, I went back to my notes on vampires, taking out my page of references. "Have you read every single book on here?"