25: Make It Official

I did my best to not smile like an idiot when I saw him waiting out the front of my work while my boss and I rolled down the door. She tried to make chit chat with me, but my eyes kept darting over his way. Eventually, Patricia glanced over to where my eyes kept going, shook her head and told me she'd see me tomorrow.

When my boss was gone, I shambled over to Ben, giving him a small wave.

"Hi," I breathed.

"Hello."

When he said nothing, and I said nothing, and neither of us moved, I couldn't help the nervous laugh that came out of me.

A grin broke out on his face and he looked down at his shoes momentarily before looking back at me. "Want to get some dinner?"

I nodded, trying not to smile like an idiot. As we began walking, side by side, I could see his hand twitching out slightly towards mine. Where has his confidence gone? And where has mine gone? I wondered.

As I watched his hand twitch out once more, I closed the distance, slipping my hand in his. His relief and joy washed through me and he gave my hand a gentle squeeze.

"What did you get up to today?" I asked.

"Um... Not much. Played video games with Lukas in the morning then spent a large part waiting for time to go by."

"Why?"

He ran a hand awkwardly through his hair, chagrin washing over him and echoing through the touch. "So that I could see you again."

"Oh." I felt my face turn red. His sudden explicitness of his feelings had me feeling all sorts of emotions. A little over a day ago I thought I was almost completely over him and now my heart was racing around him, jumping for joy.

"Cheesy?"

I shook my head. "It was sweet."

"You're sweet."

I playfully hit his shoulder. "You need to stop before my heart collapses from this overload."

He chuckled and then mimed zipping his lips.

· · ───── ∘☽༓☾∘ ───── · ·

When we got back to my place, I asked if he wanted to come up but he shook his head, telling me to hurry though. Changed out of my uniform and in a nicer outfit—denim skirt, plain blouse, stockings, and black jacket—I rejoined him.

"So... two options," he started.

"Yes?"

"We can either go out to dinner just the two of us at this really fancy place I had in mind..."

My eyes narrowed as I looked back over my outfit. I was not dressed for fancy.

"Or we can join Lukas, Erica, and Jayce at a Korean BBQ place. It might be Lukas's birthday too."

"Then of course we're going to dinner with your friends. It's your best friend's birthday."

"I'm happy for it to be just us though."

I shook my head. "I'm not dressed for a fancy place anyway. But we will have to stop to get Lukas a present because I don't have anything."

"He doesn't need anything, Olivia. It's okay."

"No. I'm not going empty handed to a birthday celebration. What does he like?"

Ben sighed. "Video games?"

I pulled out my phone and searched the nearest game store, then began tugging Ben along with me.

· · ───── ∘☽༓☾∘ ───── · ·

When we got off at Holborn station, Lukas's birthday present in hand, Ben began tugging me towards the park.

"I thought we were going to dinner?" I asked him.

"In a minute. I wanted to have a chat first... just us two."

"Oh-kay..." What's this about?

We walked through the park in silence for a moment until Ben suddenly came to a stop. He turned to me, avoiding my eyes, opening his mouth a couple of times but no words came out.

"What is it?" I asked. I could sense nervousness from him through our touch.

He finally met my eyes. "I've messed things up by not making things clear before."

"Don't put that all on yourself Ben—"

"It's just a starting statement leading into my next thing..."

I pursed my lips.

"I've messed things up... so I wanted to make things really clear now before we go further."

I don't know if I like where this is going. My stomach started to get a little tense. I wanted to drop his hand, but I was numb. Stuck to my spot on the ground, locked under his gaze.

"I wanted to formally ask, Olivia..." He took a deep breath. "I wanted to ask if you would be my girlfriend?"

I stared at him as the words that came out of his mouth took a moment to process through my brain. And then a smile broke out on my face. "Benjamin Cross... you want me to go steady with you?"

He nodded vigorously, eyes pleading. Nervousness still permeating through him.

I couldn't help the laugh that came out of my mouth. This feels like high school all over again...

"What do you think?" he squeaked. "Is that something you might like? Or would you prefer to not or..."

I silenced him with my mouth. It was a short peck, really, but he stopped talking, eyes sparkling into mine as I pulled back. "Of course, Ben. I'll be your girlfriend." I laughed again.

"Why are you laughing?"

"It's just such a silly term... boyfriend... girlfriend... Feels like I'm a kid."

He shrugged. "Man friend and woman friend sounds more weird."

"Could call it partners?"

"Partner... I like that too. But I would also like to call you my girlfriend, if that's okay?"

"Of course, Ben." I closed the distance, wrapping my arms around his waist. "You didn't need to ask that."