60: Grey City, Blue Goodbyes

October 2018

Morning hadn't even broken the sky outside, and London life was still asleep as I peered out the window, waiting for the ding on my phone that signalled my ride had arrived.

The streetlights glowed under the morning drizzle, a fog hung low in the air. The trees in the park across the street shuddered under the frigid frost, allowing more leaves to crisp and brown as winter drew closer.

Since the Game of Thrones marathon a few weeks ago, I locked myself up in the room again, unwilling to connect. Unwilling to let anyone change my mind.

Of course I ventured out to go to the bathroom, eat, and all that. I went out a couple of times to visit my university too to tie up loose ends, but otherwise I stayed in the room, avoiding Erica, avoiding Jayce... avoiding Lukas.

They all tried knocking on my door. Even Faye came once, trying to use her siren magic to lure me out. But I would not give in. Any interaction would be another chance to convince me to stay, and I couldn't have that.

There was only one end here. One end that would resolve all the havoc I had caused. I didn't belong in their world. I didn't belong in their lives. My species had fled a long time ago because we did not fit in with the magical kind here. And I certainly did not belong with this group of people in place of the one they had lost.

Two headlights glowed in the distance as a car slowed in approach towards the house. My phone let out a quiet ding and I padded quietly across the floor, grabbing my bag and suitcase.

Finally, I centred a piece of paper on his desk, then forwarded out of the room, leaving the door open behind me so that they could go in and out as they please now.

Magic creeping through my feet and into the floorboards, I silenced my steps as I tip-toed downstairs, through the foyer, pausing to put my shoes on just before I exited the front door. I gave the house one final glance over my shoulder, before I put my bag in the back of the taxi and hopped in.

· · ───── ∘☽༓☾∘ ───── · ·

Heathrow had a lovely calm to it in the early hours of the day. As the first flights of the morning landed and took off, travellers slowly wafted in and out of the airport, setting off on their domestic and international adventures.

I had arrived way before my flight, so I mulled around in the check-in area, browsing the shops and cafes to kill time.

When 9am rolled in, my phone started ringing. Lukas's name flashed across my screen. There was still a couple hours until my flight, but I knew it was only a matter of time.

I headed over to check-in, handing them my passport and luggage, then got my ticket and began to head to security.

My phone rang again on the way, this time Erica.

And then again: Jayce.

Everybody from the house rang, Lukas every fifth call. Then even Jade and Faye tried calling. But I silenced my phone, put it in the caddy along with my luggage, removed my shoes, and walked through the security gate when instructed.

On the other side, I put my jacket and shoes back on, grabbed my bag, and began to walk through.

"Ollie!" I heard shouted in the distance, bringing me to a stop. "Olivia! Wait!"

Begrudgingly, I glanced over my shoulder to see Lukas running as fast as humanly acceptable⁠—a little faster to be honest—through the airport towards the security gate.

I shook my head at him, hoisted my carry-on over my shoulder and began to take a couple of steps.

"Olivia Byrne! Stop!"