Chapter 31 - Conquer

I walked with my hood over my head to hide my identity through the crowds of the busy town of Argentum, the lower district. The place where commoners can afford to buy.

My body was still shaking in fear, my mind was racing and was hugging Homura even tighter.
"*Cough Cough* If you're going to kill me, stab me instead. This is torture and painful" Homura gasped, trying to breath but couldn't. Hearing him speak I snapped out of my thoughts and loosened a little. "Sorry" I whispered.

He uttered something under his breath, due to the chattering of the people and the noise I was unable to hear what he said.

My eyes darted around like crazily, glancing at every person that walked past me making me flinch every time they brushed past me.

I steady my breath trying to calm the panic, but the fear became a tangible, living force that crept over me like some hungry beast, immobilizing me. My heart was throbbing in my ears, loud and irregular, but I barely heard it, for my mind was clouded with fear.

'Mother, Mother where are you?' a familiar young girls voice echoed through my mind.

'Mother where did you go? I'm scared'

'Mother I'm scared' the voice ringed in my ears forcing me to listen to her cries.

'Please go away' I begged. 'Please go away'

"Oi Human!" I snapped back to reality, the voices disappearing and to be taken over again by the chatters of the people.

"What's wrong with you?" Homura questioned.

"Nothing" I shook my head lightly.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, 'Remember what Daisuke said' I released my breath then to inhale more.

'He will always stay by my side' I couldn't believe I was walking through the crowd without Daisuke to comfort me and without having a panic attack. I was actually doing what I feared the most.

I gazed up to see dozens of more people walking by, happily chatting away. A cold wave embalmed me as the hairs rose on the back of my neck and my mouth ran dry. I quickly looked down "Don't look just keep moving" I whispered to myself.

"Stupid human" he mumbled out loud with the intention of making sure I heard. Rolling my eyes and ignoring him, I continued on walking.

I may have endured the fear of walking through all alone, yet I still have to build up the courage to look up and see myself in the crowd. I was not ready for that big step yet. Walking in was already difficult enough.

I was looking down at Homura who seemed to throw a few disgusted glances at the people that passed by, can't blame the poor animal. He was a fox after all, and people love hunting foxes for sport but that was in my world I don't know about this one.

I shifted my gaze away from the fox and stared down at my feet, admiring the dark, teal-coloured high heeled boots I wore, the show maker made it really comfortable for me to wear.

I couldn't see where I was going but my ears listened and navigated me through. I could hear sellers yelling out their prices of their goods and buyers negotiating with the sellers for a decent price, people were bustling about, kids screaming and crying. It reminded somewhat of back home in Tokyo.

Feeling someone walk towards me, waiting for him to move aside and walk past me he didn't move but continued on walking. I took it upon myself to move aside for this 'Gentleman' which did not bother to move, I stepped to the side both of us brushing shoulders.

"What a rude human" the fox grumbled. "I agree"

"Why are we here anyway?" he asked wriggling around to get a little comfortable in my arms. "Business" I answered coldly and quietly so no one hears some mysterious hooded person talking to a fox like a crazy weirdo. "What sort of human business are you requiring?" he titled his head at me, gazing at me with his amber eyes.

"I need a few supplies before I set off"

"Set off to what? Find a noble dragon to higher your rank in the human society" he mocked.

"No? I have no intention of doing that" that wouldn't be such a bad idea if I weren't going to go home.

He narrowed his eyes at me looking for any signs of lies or misleading.

"Humans are such complicated parasites" he grumbled averting his gaze away and curling himself into a ball. If some other human heard what he said they would have been very offended for being called a parasite, but I wasn't because he was right. We are just parasites eating away the host slowly and painfully. Living comfortably while the host slowly dies.

People were never wrong at how sly and intelligent foxes are.

"Wake me up when something interesting happens human" he yawned, closing his eyes.

"Can you stop calling me human, I have a name you know" I said getting irritated for getting called a human all the time even though I introduced my name to him.

"Tch shut up before I lose my beauty sleep because of your annoying nagging"

Irritation surged inside me. Satan was telling me to drop this snobby princess fox.

Gritting my teeth, I ignored the urge to do so and continued navigating my way through by listening.

My ears perked up when I heard the beating of metal in the far distance. Fastening my pace and dodging all the people that I would have bumped into if I didn't move out of the way.

The sounds got louder and louder each time I walked closer. Once the bashing of metal was loud enough to know I was in front of the store or near I slowly lifted my head and the first thing my eyes laid on was a strong built man that looked like he was in his early 40s. His face was just forming a few wrinkles but was covered in soot, yet he had a sharp chin and eyes dark as coal, fixed on the red-hot blade that he hammered down.

His messy and oily black hair was hovering down his face and he had few facial hairs growing on his chin. He was a healthy-looking guy, except for the purple bags under his tired looking eyes.

Could be the forging of my weapons tire him out.

"Oi human what are we doing here?" the fox said trembling a little at the sight of the man's aggressive hammering. I didn't respond to him.

"I knew it!" he shrieked "You were only pretending to be nice to fool me." he yapped, I looked up with a poker face. "You just wanted to kill me for my fur. You vile litt-hmmm" Artemis held his snout shut, refusing him to speak. "Open that snout one more time and I will skin you myself. I bet I'll get a lot of money out of you"

"You wouldn't dare" he spat his venom. "I wouldn't dare an assassin Homura" I rose an eyebrow making him sunk his head down.

"that's what I thought" he narrowed his eyes at me in irritation and bearing his little sharp teeth.

I glanced back at the blacksmith who already finished hammering down the blade and was dipping the flaming hot blade in the bucket of water.

"Excuse me good sir"