Chapter 96 - Mariana's Cry

Mariana waited patiently while she sat on the icy steps, her fingers fiddled with the long-laced material of her bracelet. The anxiety that crept in the back of her mind made her feel uncomfortable in her own skin.

The Aristocrats who had been alarmed had quite down, yet the air was bitter and cold. Some who were to stuck up from their egos left for home since the servant had ruined their night while other stayed behind to continue to whisper and gossip about such event maybe create new rumours.

She had all these scenarios running through her mind like wildfire.

"My Lady." A sound of a deep worried voice made Mariana snapped out of her eternal thoughts and she looked up to see a rough looking man gazing down at her so worriedly. She saw her own reflection in his sharp teal eyes.

"Sir Soren, should you not be by father side?" she questioned. Soren Lermontov, her father's personal knight who pledged great loyalty to Ophir 21 years ago. He is a great swordsman with a tall and great built who towers over anyone. Because of his roug h face with a claw like scar across cheek and sharp eyes that could bring any be ast down to their knees, Sir Soren was misunderstood by the people as being rough and aggressive but was very gentle who had a soft spot for children. He was always seen playing snowballs with the local children, paying a visit to the orphanage, or seen helping kids off the street.

Soren only stared at her with a stern look. "My apologies my lady but his grace had ordered me to stay by your side as he goes to check on the situation" he explained.

Mariana shook her head in a disagreement. "No, you should have gone with father. I fear something dreadful will happen and your not there to protect father" her eyes glittered with tears.

For a slight second Soren was caught off guard by her words, but his expression returned to normal. Seeing the young lady of the Lancaster's, he pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to her. "For you my lady" he said.

Mariana accepted the handkerchief from Sir Soren's hand with a smile and a polite thank you that made Soren smile in return.

"Your father has always been a strong man, mentally, physically, and spiritually. There was a quite a few times where he had saved me, and it always made me rethink to myself if I was worthy of staying by his side if he was the one protecting me instead." Soren chuckled lightly to himself as his eyes could be seen remembering those times then to shake his head in shame.

Hearing those compliments about her father made her heart ease just by a little. It made her proud to be related to such a brave and strong man.

However deep down something still bugged within her and it turned her expression sorrow. Her lips were drawn in tightly and her thin eyebrows lowered to come together.

"Thank you, Sir Soren, but I will feel at ease if you return to my father's sidewhere you belong." Mariana did not look at him but to stare at those shiny sabaton shoes he wore on his feet.

Sir Soren could not disobey his grace's orders. If he would leave her here without any protection, she will be an easy target for anyone. Not like there are many Lancaster knights around to prevent such situations to happen to their lady but the fact that Sir Soren has no trust in their skills.

He did not want the same assassination to attempt of the Grand Duchess of Isvand from 15 years ago to happen to Mariana as well. Soren will kill himself if Mariana was to get attacked because he was not here to prevent it.

Soren was not going to leave Mariana side even if she insisted. Mariana is precious to Ophir, and the duke would do anything to keep her safe even if it means to do the unspeakable in order to prevent any harm to come to his only child. Ophir could not bear another loss of his loved ones and neither does Soren want to see Ophir in the same state when he had lost Meryn that awful night by the hands of those monsters who call themselves humans.