Chapter 9

Chapter 9: **Surprise**

I sat on my bed with my bowl of Honey-Nut Cheerios, catching up on Empire. Because of the competition I missed half the season.

As soon as it went on commercial my phone started ringing.

"Hello?" I questioned.

"Aye Ma."

I immediately recognized his Brooklyn accent which caused me to grin.

"What are you calling me for?" I asked.

"No, 'Hey, how are you?' Or nothing?" He whined like a little boy.

"Hey, how are you? What are you calling me for?"

My response earned a laugh from us both.

"I'm great, thanks for asking! I am calling because I was wondering if you could fly up here for the weekend."

I pondered his question for a few minutes.

It has been about a month since I won the competition. I stayed in New York for a week after I won but I soon had to fly back here because of work, of course. I am off on the weekends so it wouldn't be a problem to fly up there, but I was really looking forward to a lazy, relaxing weekend. Spending time with Jay would be okay I guess.

"I guess I could. Only for the weekend though. Why do you need me up there?" I questioned.

"Well, I have a surprise."

"I hate surprises!" I whined now being the one acting like a child.

"You'll love this one!"

"And how do you know this?" I asked.

"I know because I know you."

"No you don't." I quickly shot back.

"Oh really? So it's like that, huh?"

"Exactly like that!"

"Then I'll just have to give the surprise to someone else then."

I rolled my eyes, "I never said I didn't want the surprise I just said that I hate them."

"Then you'll have to wait two days and find out what the surprise is." He snarked with a laugh.

"Two days is a long time to wait."

"It'll be worth it." He said.

I stood up walking to the kitchen with the phone still to my ear. I sat the bowl in the sink, ran some water in it, and walked back up stairs.

"How have you been?" He asked after the period of silence.

"Honestly, exhausted. How about you?"

"Can't complain. Why you so exhausted?"

"My mother, work, catching up on what I missed while I was gone. Just a lot of stuff really."

"Hopefully this weekend will give you the break you need."

I silently groaned. Between the flight and Jay being a busy-body, I doubt it.

"Hopefully." I said hoping to satisfy him.

"I'll let you go though. I look forward to seeing you this weekend, Ms. Knowles."

"You too, Mr. Carter."

I hung up lying my phone back down on my nightstand and pressed play on my DVR.

***

Two days went by surprisingly quick. Only two more hours and I'll be landing in New York.