Chapter 11: Why is the Rum Gone?!

Ohhh, my head. It aches.

I could just lay here forever. Or at least until my head feels better.

I smell something strange. It almost smells like rum...burning?!

My eyes snap open. Bright light blinds them for a few seconds, but I stand up and run toward bloody Elizabeth, who was tossing barrels of rum into a giant fire.

"No!" Jack, who must have also woken up, shouts. "Not good!"

"What are you doing?!" I scream. "You've burned all the food, the shade, the rum!"

"Yes, the rum is gone," Elizabeth says, tossing the last barrel and walking away from the fire.

"Why is the rum gone?" Jack asks, angrily.

"One, because it's a vile drink that can turn even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels. Two, that smoke signal is over a thousand feet high. The entire Royal Navy is out looking for me, do you think there is the slightest chance they didn't see it?!" She nearly shouts the last part at Jack before sitting down in the sand staring at the sea.

"But why is the rum gone?" I groan sitting down in the sand. I'm stuck on this bloody miserable island without rum to make it less miserable.

"Give it one hour, maybe two, but just wait Captain Sparrow. You'll see white sails on the horizon," Elizabeth says.

Jack pulls out his pistol and points it at Elizabeth's head. "Jack," I warn.

He sighs and puts it down. His one shot is meant for one person only and that person is Barbossa.

He storms off and I follow behind him.

"Must have been terrible for you to be trapped here, Jack. Must have been terrible," he imitates Elizabeth's high pitched, whiny voice. "WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

I look out at the horizon and see white sails, sailing toward this island. "Jack," I say, pointing at the sea.

He takes a long look at the ship sailing toward us. "Bloody hell. I need more rum," he finally says.

I feel slightly uneasy as a longboat is rowed out to the island from the goon vessel. As we all went into the longboat, none of us dared to speak a word. Once we got on the Dauntless, Elizabeth was carefully escorted around. However, Jack and I were pushed and shoved around the ship. They kept a tight hold on us, most likely so we wouldn't escape. But escape meant death and I wasn't ready to die just yet.

"Set sail for Port Royal," Norrington snaps.

"But we have to save Will," Elizabeth protests.

"Elizabeth, we have no time to go gallivanting after pirates," her father tells her.

"Then we condemn him to death!"

"The boy's fate is regrettable, but so was his decision to engage in piracy," Norrington says. He's starting to steer himself far away from any sense of humanity.

"To save me!" Elizabeth argues. "To prevent anything bad from happening to me!"

Oh for heavens sake this is going nowhere.

Jack steps forward. "If I may be so bold as to inject my professional opinion. The Pearl was badly damaged after the battle, and it's unlikely she will be able to withstand another one. Think about it, mate. The last real pirate threat in the Caribbean. How could you pass that one up?"

"By remembering I serve others, not just myself," Norrington replies coldly, turning his back to Jack. Rude.

"Commodore, I beg you, please do this for me...as a wedding gift," Elizabeth says.

"Elizabeth? Are you accepting the Commodore's proposal?" Her father asks, looking like it was the happiest day of his life. That must be a sad life.

"I am," Elizabeth replies.

"A wedding! I love weddings!" Jack steps in again. "Drinks all around!" From the looks on everyone's faces I have a feeling that Jack and I won't be invited.

"I know clap him in irons, right?" Jack asks, holding out his hands.

"Mr. Sparrow and Miss Freeman, you will accompany these fine men to the helm and provide us with the bearing to Isla de Muerta. You will then spend the rest of the voyage contemplating all possible meanings of the phrase 'silent as the grave'. Do I make myself clear?" He asks us.

Do you ever not?

"Inescapably clear," Jack says, while I nod my head in agreement.

I hate Norrington.