Chapter 13: Justice

"They've left," Barbossa says, turning toward Jack and I.

"Right," Jack says, nodding. He picks up a statue and examines it.

"I must admit Jack," says Barbossa. "I thought I had you figured out, but it turns out that you're a hard man to predict."

"You can't predict brilliance, mate," I say, smiling at Jack. Jack smirks at me.

"Me? I'm dishonest and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones that you want to watch out for. You can never tell when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.

Jack suddenly kicks one of Barbossa's idiot friends and grabs his sword as he falls into a pool of water. He tosses it to Will who catches it, surprisingly, and I draw my sword.

This is one of those moments where you can weigh your options. I could help Will fight off a few of the idiots, but then I couldn't get revenge for what Barbossa did to me. With that, I lunge for Barbossa. Our swords cross. I knew all of his moves which made the fight fairly easy. However, he knew all of my moves which didn't help. But he didn't have to worry about dying since he can't die. I don't either, but he doesn't know that.

I notice that his head was tilted slightly and I take the opportunity to slice half of the giant feather off his ridiculous hat. Fury erupts in his face and he snarls, lunging at me with his sword. I manage to block him a few times, however he corners me onto a tall, slippery rock that's right in the middle of the moonlight.

"You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here, there be monsters," he says.

"I'm not afraid," I say, lunging at him and driving my sword right through his stomach.

He looks down at the sword that was sticking out of his stomach and rolls his eyes. In one quick move, he pulls it out and stabs it straight through me.

My eyes widen. This feels really...odd.

"Eve!" Jack and Will both scream, their voices echo around the cave.

I step back into the moonlight, which hits and illuminates my bones. Oh would you look that that. I'm a skeleton.

"That's interesting. I've never seen the inside of myself before," I say, examining my bones and rolling the piece of cursed treasure through my bony fingers. I grin, looking up at Barbossa. He has a look of shock on his face. "I couldn't resist, mate," I say.

Without saying a word, he lunges at me again. I yank the sword out of my bones and continue fighting. The whole immortality deal was actually incredibly useful.

The fact that I couldn't die allowed me to kick the entire fight up a notch. I fought aggressively and Barbossa didn't back down. We fought all the way back to ground level where he began to tire.

"So what now, Eve Freeman? Are we to be two immortals locked in a deadly battle until judgement day and trumpets sound, eh?" he asks.

I smirk. "Or you could surrender. I know you want to."

As a response, he tries to cut me in half. I dodge out of the way. How rude. I carefully manipulate the fight to be closer to the chest. An explosion occurs to our right. Body parts blew up everywhere. I honestly don't know what Jack and Will did, but this isn't the time to think about that. While Barbossa was distracted, I slice my hand with my sword and soak the piece of cursed gold in my blood. I toss it to Jack.

Barbossa pulls out his pistol. He points it at me, probably hoping to use me as leverage.

I wouldn't be looking so smug, Barbossa.

Jack pulls his pistol out and fires at Barbossa, hitting him straight in the heart. The shot echoes around the cave.

"Ten years you carry around that pistol and now you waste your shot," Barbossa says, looking at Jack, grinning.

"He didn't waste it!" Will shouts, dropping the cursed pieces of gold into the chest. The curse was undone.

I watch the horror grow on Barbossa's face. He takes off his jacket and stares straight at the growing pool of blood coming through his chest.

"I feel...cold," he says, before dropping dead.

Justice.

I've waited for this moment for the past decade. I've had pictures in my head of what it would look like, but I never imagined that it would feel like this. I think I almost enjoyed the thrill of the chase. I'm finally free.

I look up and smile at Jack who is covering himself in treasure.

I sift through some piles of gold and find a lovely ornament thing. It would look so nice on my ship.

My ship. Not Barbossa's ship. But, my ship. Well, Jack and I's ship. I smile to myself.

I walk over to Jack, who is absolutely covered in gold jewelry and crowns.

"Hey," I say, smiling. "Nice crown."

"I know," he says, adjusting it on his head.

I laugh. "So this is what freedom is," I say.

"Yes, love. And it tastes absolutely brilliant."

"Jack! Eve!" Will calls. I turn to look at him.

"I think we better get going," he says.

"Ah, yes. I'd be much obliged if someone would take me to my ship," Jack says.

Will steers the longboat this time. When we get out of the cave, I realize that he is steering toward the Dauntless.

"I'm sorry, Jack and Eve," he says as we enter the boat and Jack and I are immediately handcuffed.

I say nothing, knowing that he did the right thing.

I know that when I return to Port Royal, I will be killed. However, I have achieved everything that was worth achieving in this lifetime. And that's good. That's perfectly good.

A/N
Ahh!! There's one more chapter. I'm sorry I haven't updated very fast, but this chapter has nearly a thousand words so hopefully that will make up for it. There will be a sequel to this story since I had so much fun writing it. That should be up sometime later this month. It will definitely be updated a lot faster than this story was since I'm on summer break. I hope you had as much fun reading this as I did writing it.
~Jane