Chapter 14: It's a Pirates' Life for Me

The day of the gallows was a day I dreaded. I've faced the gallows many time, but this actually might be the time that I don't make it out alive. This is what happens when you rely on other people.

"Jack Sparrow and Eve Freeman," an official to our left reads.

"Oh, come on! Captain! Captain Jack Sparrow and Eve Freeman," Jack says, looking really annoyed.

If they are going to kill us, they could at least get our names right.

The official carried on. "Be it known that you have been brought to justice today for your willful commission of crimes against the crown. Said crimes numerous in quantity and sinister in nature, the most egregious of these to be cited herewith piracy, smuggling, forgery, sailing under false colours, looting, impersonating an officer of the Spanish Royal Navy, impersonating a cleric of the Church of England-"

Ha, that one was good. I turn and smile at Jack. He turns around and laughs at the man behind us. The man doesn't crack a smile. Then I realize- he's the executioner.

Oh bugger.

I turn to the crowd of people who came to watch my death. Looking at them, I feel a little sick to my stomach. Then I see Commodore Goon, standing in the back all smug looking. I hate him.

The execution is about to start. I look at Jack one last time. He looks at me.

"I love you," he whispers.

"Always," I whisper back as the noose is tied around my neck.

I look into the crowd and notice a gigantic feather. That is a bloody huge bird. Wait, that's not a bird, that's Will. He is wearing the most ridiculous looking hat I've ever seen. It's ridiculousness surpasses Barbossa's hat.

Suddenly the drums stop and the ground underneath me opens. For about two seconds, I feel an incredible chocking sensation. I can't breathe. Suddenly, there is a slippery, thin thing under my feet.  It's hard to stand on, but it's enough to keep me alive. 

Then I realize that it's a sword.  Will is freeing us.  He tosses Jack a sword, who is somehow able to catch it in his tied up hands.  He cuts the rope that was binding his two hands together and cuts off his noose.  He then does the same for me.  I yank the sword that was keeping me alive out of the wood platform that it was lodged in and fight off Navy goons blocking me from my escape.  Jack, Will and I work our way to the cliff where Elizabeth first fell off of.  When the guards finally surround us, Governor Swann and Commodore Goon walk over.

"I thought that we might have to endure some manner of ill-conceived escape attempt, but not from you," Commodore Goon sneers at Will.

"On our return to Port Royal, I granted you clemency and this is how you repay me?" the Governor sounds offended.  "By throwing your lot in with them?  They're pirates!"

Wow, I had no clue.  Thanks, Governor.

"And good men," two voices add.  Will and Elizabeth. 

"If all I have achieved here is that the hangman will earn three-"

"Four," Elizabeth corrects him.

"Four," Will repeats.  "If all I have achieved here is that the hangman will earn four pairs of boots instead of two, so be it.  At least my conscience will be clear."

How many pairs of boots does one hangman need?  That greedy goon.

"You forget your place, Tuner," the Commodore says.  He looks so angry that he could explode.  That would be nice.

"It's right here, between you, Jack and Eve," Will says, bravely.

"As is mine," Elizabeth says, stepping next to Will.  The governor immediately panics and orders all weapons to be lowered.

"So is this where your heart truly lies?" the Commodore asks Elizabeth sadly.

"It is," Elizabeth admits.

Who knew?  Will got the girl.

Suddenly, a brightly colored parrot catches my eye.  I nudge Jack who then notices it.  He smiles.  Cotton's parrot.  Our ship and crew can't be far away. 

"Well, I'm actually feeling rather good about all of this," Jack says, walking over the Governor.  "I think we've all come to a special place.  Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically." I don't know why the Governor is wincing at Jack.  He doesn't smell very good either.

I approach the Commodore.  "I want you to know that I was rooting for you, mate.  Know that," I tell him, lying.  It's best be on his good side.

"Elizabeth," Jack says. She looks up.  "It would never have worked out between us, love.  I love Eve," he tells her.  I smile, while she rolls her eyes and turns back to Will. 

"Will," I say.  "Nice hat."  He smiles.  It's honestly the most ridiculous hat I've ever seen, but I also wanted to be nice.  After all, he just risked his life for Jack and I. 

Jack takes my hand and climbs onto the ledge of the cliff.  "Friends, this is the day you will always remember as the day that you almost-"

He tripped off the edge of the cliff and took me down with him.  We land in the ocean near the same spot that Elizabeth landed.  When we break the surface, we see the Black Pearl sailing toward us.

I've never seen a more beautiful sight. 

We climb the ship and Gibbs immediately greets us.  "I thought you were supposed to keep to the code," I tell him.

"We figured the code was more like guidelines," he replies. 

I haven't heard that one before.

Jack and I walk up to the wheel.  He touches it for the first time in a long time and takes it in.  This ship is ours.  Not the Commodore's, not Barbossa's, but ours.  Then we realize that the whole crew is looking at us.  "On deck you scabrous dogs!  Man the braces!  Let down the haul to run free!" I order them.

While the crew does their jobs, Jack opens his compass and a bottle of rum.  "I have to say, love, it's a pirate's life for me," he tells me.

Being a pirate is not usually something to be proud of.  Usually, it's something you have to hide.  But this isn't one of those moments.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.

A/N

Hey everyone!!!  Thank you so much for reading this story!  When I started it in October at my brother's hockey tournament because I was bored, I never imagined that I would get this far!  Thank you to everyone who read, commented and voted and all of the support that you guys gave.  There eventually will be a sequel to this, but I don't know when, but keep an eye out for that.  Also, I am writing my own original story, so the first chapter should be up soon if you are interested. 

I'm so sad that this will be the last author's note, I will miss these. 

~Jane