Chapter 9: Captured...Again

When I wake up, all I feel is unbearable pain in my head. Either I have the worst hangover in history or I'm in hell.

Then I remember. This is Will's doing. I hate that heartless wrench. I knew he would ruin everything.

"Jack?" I ask. I open my eyes very slowly and let them adjust to the dim light that is still blinding.

"Aye?" he answers groggily.

I stand up. "We have to find Will. He left to rescue Elizabeth," I say, walking over to him, stumbling a little.

He sits up. "Is this wretched headache Mr. Turner's doing?"

"Aye. He knocked you out with the oar and then did the same to me," I explain.

Jack stands up, holding onto the oar for support. We stumble around to the entrance of the cave as if we're drunk.

"You!" someone shouts. Oh bugger.

Jack and I halt in our footsteps.

"Both of you are supposed to be dead!"

Jack looks himself over. "Are we not?"

I roll my eyes. "It's funny how some things turn out, boys," I tell them.

One of them pulls out their gun. In seconds, it is right in front of my face. If I don't do anything quick, I will be shot dead.

"Palulay....palulilay..parsnip, parsley.." Jack sounds out words.

"Parlay?" I suggest.

"Parlay! Yes that's the one, thank you love!" Jack says excitedly. Turning to the men standing before us, he asks, "parlay?"

"Damn to the depths whatever muttonhead thought up parlay!" one of the men replies. I think his name is Pintel.

"That would be the French," I say sweetly.

We waited for Barbossa. He grins at me. I shiver. His beard is just as scraggly and his teeth are as yellow as I remember. I don't want to bring back any unwanted memories, so I look down.

"How the blazes did you get off that island?" he asks Jack.

Jack leans on his oar and grins. "When you marooned Eve and I on that God forsaken spit of land, you forgot one very important thing, mate. We're Captains Jack Sparrow and Eve Freeman."

"Ah well I won't be making that same mistake again. Gents, you all remember Jack Sparrow and Eve Freeman. Shoot them," Barbossa orders his crew.

What a coward. He's not even brave enough to kill us himself.

"The girl's blood didn't work, did it?" Jack asks, grinning. How he manages to smile when in less than a second he could be shot is beyond me.

"Hold your fire!" Barbossa shouts. His crew scowls. "You know who's blood I need?"

Jack grins. Wrapping his arm around me and pulling me tight, he answers, "I know whose blood you need."

When Jack and I were thrown into the jail cell on the Black Pearl, I got a good look at the condition of the ship. It's been a long time and the ship is not doing well.

"Apparently there's a leak," Jack says, as Pintel walks away with the keys.

"The bloody bastard could have at least taken care of the ship while we were gone," I say.

"Don't worry, love. We'll be out of here in no time and the ship will be ours once again. I sort of have a plan," Jack tells me.

"Sort of is very comforting," I say sarcastically.