Chapter 3: Blacksmith Shop Battle and The Odyssey's Fall

When we entered the blacksmith shop, the first thing we notice is the blacksmith, passed out holding a bottle of rum in his hand. He's so drunk even his snores are slurred. After deciding that the coast is clear, we begin to try to get these bloody chains off.

Jack picks up a hammer. He bangs the chains with it, cursing every time the hammer hits the metal and doesn't make a dent.

"Jack, that's not going to work," I say, after about five minutes of this nonsense. I could hear the soldiers outside. Sooner or later, they're tiny brains are going to work and they will find us. Time was about as much of our friend as Norrington was.

I quickly glance around the building. I notice the giant gear used for making swords. "Leverage," I mutter, grabbing a hot rod out of the fireplace and tapping it on the donkey that makes the gear turn.

The animal snaps out of it's sleep and runs around in circles, making the gear turn. I the chains connecting the irons to my hands over the gear. After a few turns, the chain snaps.

"Yes!" I whisper in relief. "Jack! The gear works!"

"You're a genius," he mutters before using the gear on his chains. After they're off, we hear the door open.

"Shit," he whispers and pulls me into the shadows, hiding behind a barrel.

The boy that walks in looks to be around 20. I have never seen him, but he looks very familiar. He sets his coat down and glances at the blacksmith. "Right where I left you." The man is asleep, therefore he can't hear him, therefore this boy talks to himself and is crazy.

He notices the hammer lying on another barrel. Jack never put it back. "Not where I left you." His eyes move up to Jack's hat, which he set down. He reaches for the hat and slaps his sword down on his hand.

The boy looks at him for a second. "You're the one of the pirates they're hunting," he says, stepping back.

"You look familiar. Have I threatened you before?" Jack asks. Good, I wasn't the only one that thought he looked familiar.

"I make a point of avoiding familiarities with pirates," the boy responds, coldly.

"Well it would be a shame to put a black mark on your record. I guess we'll be on our way then," Jack says, sheathing his sword. That's my cue, I guess. I stand up and smirk at the boy, who didn't know I was there.

"You're a girl," he says, looking at me.

"Woman," I respond. His jaw drops. I smile. "What's the matter, boy? Cat got your tongue?"

He pulls out his sword and points it at Jack. "You really think that's wise, boy? Crossing blades with a pirate?" Jack asks.

"You two threatened Miss Swann," he accuses.

I laugh and smile. "Only a little." I pull out my sword and lunge at him.

He backs away and puts down his sword. "What's the matter? Are you scared?" I smirk.

"I can't fight a woman," he simply replies. "It isn't right."

I roll my eyes. Men are ignorant. Sure, most women sit in a carriage, sip their tea and look pretty. But do I look like most women?

"Listen, boy. I steal, lie, cheat, and kill. I'm a pirate for god's sake and I don't give a damn about what's right and wrong. I may be a woman, but I can do much more with a sword than you can imagine," I say, cooly. I have no tolerance for men who baby me.

With this, Will lunges at me and starts the fight. He's actually pretty good, but nothing compared to me. Jack joins in and the boy grabs another sword.