Chapter 4

The monotonous sound of synchronizing footsteps grazing the tiled floor echoed upon the embedded walls, merely serving as white noise lifting the daunting, blanketing silence as there were no utterances uttered within the atmosphere lasting. The hallway was illuminated well by artificial light, though it flunked to illumine the smothering sentiment imprinting their tainted soul.

Manjiro's eyes hued obsidian were maintained straight ahead onto his path, hands settled on his pockets as he displayed his facial engraved vacant. Behind, a notorious man with strawberry blonde tendrils remained, following him by steps apart separating them. Both exited the towering building, merely to be confronted by the wintry breeze grazing their unveiled skin harshly-- coldness nibbling their exterior, penetrating deeper, torpefying them.

Aloft, the atmosphere was thoroughly blanketed by darkness accompanied by numerous disarrayed stars popping, glinting similar to a luxurious stone, along with moon framed by vapors that were deterring the sliver of pale light to scrape the surface, endowing them with midnight vitality.

The man whose locks bleached white halted on his track as a thought cross his mind, followed suit by Sanzu who stares at him with a resting facial, waiting for him to continue seizing his path, or utter an order.

Unfastening his pale lips, Manjiro shifted his skull faintly to his side, with his strands blocking his sight as it flowed along with the guidance of the bitter gush.

"Y/n-chin, did she leave a message?" Manjiro uttered, piercing spheres darted at the taller individual who stared back at him, confused.

For a moment, Sanzu processes the phrase that fled the throat of the man who clasps his leash, before comprehending whom he was referring to, Manjiro's wife.

Instantaneously breaking the eye contact they shared in between so as severing the tension forging, Sanzu trailed his hands onto his suit pocket, searching for Manjiro's phone that he hand for Sanzu to keep.

Hoisting up his hand with the phone positioned in his grasp, Sanzu's pelagic hues was promptly greeted by the blue glare radiated from the screen, earning him to squint his eyes a little, looking for the certain message notification within his lengthy lashes. However, much to his dismay, there was none on display.

"There's none." Sanzu declared.

Hearing those escape the strawberry blonde man's throat, Manjiro reach out his hand for him, signaling him to hand him his phone for him to check for himself, wherein Sanzu gladly obliged.

Bringing the phone towards his grasp, Manjiro's hues skim through the phone for a nanosecond, and to his disappointment, he confirmed there was indeed none. He feels conflicted, worried even. Yet, he donned a phony smile as he consoled himself by whispering under his breath, "Ahh~ maybe she'll notify me later."