Chapter 9

He remained persistent, her body seeped coldness unlike before-- coldness that was identical to the first breeze of winter arriving grazing his sensitive skin for the first time, in contrast to what she emits before, like the sliver of sunlight in balmy weather that scorches his exterior, accompanied by birds melodious singing and cricket undying cries flooding the surrounding, warm his benumb soul. Both felt different, and will never be the same, and that makes them the equivalent.

Holding her within his welcoming embrace-- her delicate body that can break with such ease, Manjiro buried his face onto the crook of her neck. His warm breath wafted against her skin as he shed tears silently. Shoulders shaking, he couldn't stop tears from trickling-- saltwater trailing his cheeks, soon falling onto her shoulder, dampening it.

He had missed her: "You're back," he repeatedly muttered like his tiny heart was in a helpless state of breaking and they were no one there lingering to mend it back.

His heart swells with the fragile flame of hope that she'll hug him back with the warmth he yearns for, yet she remains indifferent like him crying behind her were none of her business.

He misses her so dearly, and if she even knows she could never write it down with words. Her skin is sickly and her lips are dry, and she wore the clothes that clung to her physique the day she left from his side, and that period feels infinite like the clock was seizing its time to pass swiftly. She looks like before but somehow, someplace, ever since she left that day, something within had been lost. What is it?...he didn't know...he's completely unknowledgeable, rather it was his own choice to keep himself unenlightened, as he intends to ignore it for as long as he can. He had promised, words fleeing his throat willingly that...forevermore, even if she attends him with such apathetic attitude, his soul and heart will always belong to her eternally-- furthermore compared to a slave towards its master, the mere difference between is that Manjiro and Y/n bid it with love.

Her expression was unsettling, her eyes held a snowy scenery. In the utter darkness of the deepened wicked night, he felt confused.

"How was your trip?" He stopped his fleeting whimpers, rough voice soaring the atmosphere. He expected to hear his wife's mellifluous vocal but had received none, not even a simple acknowledgment from her. Her gaze remained fixated on what stood before her, staring solely at nothingness. Her mind travels the infinite galaxy that festooned the ill world.

Manjiro momentarily frowned, mentally grimacing from her lack of response and strange behavior. The moment passed-- retracting his arms that surround her as to free her from his embrace, Manjiro kneel before her. His head tilted upwards as he took her hands into his warm pair. And, it baffled him when her hands grazes his hands. They were cold. The utter absence of warmth was evident. Nevertheless, he kept smiling like the things he experienced didn't cause him puzzlement and proceeded instead on bringing her hand to his lips, planting a soft, light peck, wherein it captured the awareness of the certain female. She faces him, yet the expression engraved remains unchanging.

"Did you have fun?" Manjiro asked her with an unwavering smile.

Silence.

He merely received a cold stare from her, earning the anxiousness set ablaze: she's been acting strange.

Why isn't she responding?

Why isn't she smiling like she used to?

Exhausted perhaps, that is what he reassured himself. Perhaps her energy was drained from traveling back home and that would explain her indifferent behavior.

"You must be tired from your trip. I will leave you to rest for a while."

Heaving his physique up, he carefully guides his wife to lay down against the plush mattress, and much to his delight, she complied. He tucked her within the blanket, before painting fleeting kisses on her forehead, he was at ease for a moment, however, this was wrecked when his phone ring distinctly. Reaching for his phone positioned within his pocket, Manjiro placed it against the shell of his ear, listening intently to the voice booming from the other side of the line.

"We found the culprit.."