𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐛𝐢𝐠 𝐧𝐞𝐰𝐬

y/n's pov:

last september, hina told me about a cousin she has. he apparently played volleyball and is currently a foreign exchange student at university of california, irvine. at first, i wasn't interested, until hina told me that i could study sports medicine and definitely get accepted if i were to tell this university my life story.

sure, california is beautiful, the idea of studying abroad sounds wonderful and being able to meet new people from another country excites me in a way. but, i'd leave atsumu behind. i'd leave my life that i've built behind.

"there's no harm in applying and if you do get accepted, i'm sure you and miya-senpai could figure it out. you guys are perfect for each other, there's nothing you guys can't solve," hina told me, smiling widely as ever that definitely showed how much faith she has in atsumu and it's relationship.

with that being said, i applied. i went to the faculty room for my teachers' help, asked my parents for advice and hid all of this atsumu. i don't why i did, maybe because i knew that if i told him i'd apply, he'd feel as if i'm leaving him. so deep down, i hope i don't get accepted.

as i filled out these questions, wrote these essays, i realized that i didn't really have any passion doing this.

but i still kept working on my application.

it's been nine months since the heart breaking news of y/n's swim career coming to an abrupt end. atsumu tries his best not to bring up her shoulder or question what she wants to do about it.

"i love the end of winter," y/n says, inhaling with her eyes closed. she glances over at atsumu as she holds onto the railing that stops her from stepping into the harbor. "and you, of course," y/n laughs.

atsumu brings his fanny pack he wore diagonally across his back to his chest, revealing the same skytree keychain he gave her over a year ago. "i love you too," atsumu laughs, taking out his phone from his bag.

"hey! did you take my key chain!?" y/n offended my screams, startling atsumu for a second.

"hey don't scare me like that, my phone's gonna fall in the water," atsumu lectures, closing his bag while looking at the keychain. "wait— did i never tell you that i got the same keychain?"

y/n blinks at him. "yeah, the keychain i got you came in a matching set," atsumu innocently says, "it was cheaper to buy two of the same price. y'know?"

"'tsumu, matching sets are for couples," y/n informs, placing her hand on his shoulder. "...and you got us a matching keychains before we started dating." a moment of silence falls upon the two, which second later creates a huge amount of laughter.

y/n and atsumu walk down a smal wooden boardwalk that leads them at least thirty meters in the harbor. the ocean's scent that reminds y/n of rain floods her senses, along with the cool breeze that caused her to shiver.

"'tsumu. i have to tell you something," y/n says, leaning against the wooden railing as she watches the sky turn into warm colors, with the sun setting behind them.

"please tell me you're not pregnant," atsumu says with a nervous laugh. the breeze blows her hair away from the side of her face, showing him her smile as she continues to stare off into the endless ocean.

"i'm not," y/n tells him. she lets a pause linger between them before breathing deeply. "we graduate in a couple of weeks and i think i know what to do," y/n says with a laugh, trying to seem that she was alright when she was frustrated that she felt so lost.

"really!? that's great! i'm happy for you," atsumu shouts. the silence from y/n alarms him, causing him to tilt his head in concern. "should i be happy?" he asks.

"university of california, irvine," y/n states, purposing avoiding eye contact with him.

"university of what?" atsumu asks, moving his face closer to her to gain a better view of her face. "california? as in— the united states?" he asks, raising his voice.

"what if i went to UCI to major in sports medicine," y/n quietly asks, afraid of having to break the news of what comes next. she takes a deep breath, then faces him.

"because, i got accepted as a foreign exchange student."

atsumu stares at y/n. in front of him is his first love, the woman who he learned to find out that she's perfect in every single way. but hearing these words come out of her mouth, his stomach began to turn inside out and his heart dropped to the ground.

he felt as if his world was ending right then and there.

"when did you— why— y/n, why didn't you tell me about—i'm just— shocked?" atsumu stutters, trying to fit in all of his emotions and thoughts about this without sounding angry at her.

"i still haven't decided if i should actually go, so don't think i'm moving away," y/n says, holding onto his face. she stares into his eyes that were widen from surprise, which she couldn't blame him for.

"why did you apply?" atsumu asks, his voice breaking a little, "are universities here not good enough?"

y/n calmly shakes her head as she exhaled through her nose as a sigh, her thumb brushes his cheeks softly, savoring the feeling of his skin. "it was a spur of the moment thing, i guess, i'm sorry i didn't tell you, i just— i didn't think i'd actually get in—"

"let's talk about this later," atsumu says, knowing that he doesn't want to. he grabs onto her hand and forces out a smile that broke him a little, "let's just sit here and relax for a second."

AN:

AN: ... i think theres gonna be about twenty two or twenty one more chaps so ...