Chapter 17

Previously on Chapter 16

"Y/N... Aang... you two have a big responsibilities on your shoulders. I hope you two will be able to face them... and don't forget! You must think like a mad genius" he said. Aang and I smile at him. We bow at him.

-Haru The Earth-Bender-

Y/N P.O.V

Sokka tries to look around for food. Katara and Aang are sitting... while I'm laying down on the ground as I stare at the sky, watching the cloud drifted by. My hand went up to my neck and starts fiddling with my b/n plush necklace.

Flashback

"b/n! No!!" I screamed in horror as I watch b/n got hit by the streams of fires. She falls and stares at me. I forced myself to crawl over to her. I place my hand on her head, caressing her fur softly.

"You can't do this to me... s-stay..." I cried out, tears streaming my cheeks like a waterfall. She licked my cheek softly, as if saying 'I love you' to me. Then her eyes slowly fluttered close. I tried calling her name, but her eyes remained close.

End of Flashback

"Y/N?" Someone said, snapping me out of my train of thought. I turn my head to see my brother. Aang walks over to me, staring at me with worry. He sits in front of me as I move to sit up.

"Are you okay, sis?" He said. "I am... I just miss b/n" I said. "Oh..." he said. He scoots closer and wraps his arms around me. I lean into his embrace and close my eyes, crying softly. He runs his hand through my hair, trying his best to give me comfort. Katara move closer and place her hand on my back, trying to give me comfort as well.

"Hey guys! I got us some- what happened to her?" I heard someone said, followed by a sound of steady footsteps. I turn to the sound to see Sokka. He looks at me in worry. He walks over and sits across from us.

"She just misses her bison..." Aang said. "Oh..." he said, nodding his head. I smile at them and wipe my tears with the back of my hand. "So... what do you get there?" I said. "Oh... just some nuts..." he said.

"I got this nut that looks like a rock... that might've just been a rock..." he said, tossing it away. I turn my head to see Momo and l/n looking at the nut he just threw. Momo grab it and smash it against a rock. I jump in fright when the ground begin to shake. Even Momo looks startled.

"What was that?" I said. Momo looks at the rock and drop it against the rock. The ground begin to shake again. Momo jumps and lands on Aang's shoulder, while l/n jumps into my arms.

"It sounded like it's coming from that way" Katara said. "Let's go check it out!" I said, already running without waiting for their response. But I know they are following me.

"Shouldn't we run from the danger not towards it?!" Sokka complained. But we ignore him and continue heading towards the sound. But soon enough, I can hear his footsteps following us.

***

Y/N P.O.V

We walk towards the sound, to see a boy practicing earth-bending. "An earth-bender!" Aang said. "Do you want to approach him?" I said. "Well... Katara's already onto it..." Sokka said. I turn my head to see Katara walking forward.

"Hi there! My name is Katara! What's your name?" She said. I let out a sigh. Did she seriously expect a stranger... in a war like this would talk to her? I'm not going to be surprise if he runs away.

The boy drops the rock he bend, turning to look at Katara. He turns around and runs away. He uses his bending to block the way.

"I just wanted to say hello..." Katara said. I let out a sigh and walk forward to stand next to her. "Do you really think he'd talk to someone who appeared out of no where? We're in the middle of war here... he must be scared..." I said. She nods her head at what I just said.

"That boy must be heading somewhere. You know what that means? There must be a village nearby" Aang said, excitedly. "And that means no nuts for dinner!!" Katara said. They start to run forward.

"Hey! I worked hard to collect those nuts!" Sokka said, offended. I walk over and pat his shoulder. "I am sure they know how hard you tried. Thank you, Sokka..." I said, with a smile. I turn around to start following the others.

Sokka P.O.V

I smile softly as I watch Y/N walks away after she said that she's grateful for what I did. Not a lot of people do. This makes my heart flutter a little.

Truth is... I kind of have a crush on her. But it would be weird. I mean... Aang obviously likes Katara and here I am... liking his little sister. But what am I going to do?? I'm a human! I have feelings to and I can't control what I felt. Hmm... I wonder if she'd ever return my feelings.

Time-skip

We find the village and start walking around. "Hey! It's him!" Katara said. I turn my head to see the boy we saw earlier. He's heading inside a shop. Katara instantly went after him.

"Aish... seriously, Katara..." I said. But we went after her anyway. She enters the shop. "Hey. It's you! Why did you run off?" She said. The boy turns to look at her in shock.

"I think you've mistaken me for someone else..." he said. "No we're not. We saw you... practicing your earth-bending" Aang said, entering the shop with Sokka.

The woman I'm guessing is his mother gasps. She rushes over and closes the window. "They saw you did what?" She said. "Nothing, mom! I mean, just look at them! They're crazy!" He said. "Excuse me?" I said, looking at him with an offended look.

His mother looks unconvinced with what he said. "Haru... you know earth-bending is forbidden!" She said. Katara walks forward. "Why? Forbidding him to earth-bend is like forbidding me to water-bend! It's a part of who we are!" She said. The mother turn her head to look at her.

"You wouldn't understand our situations..." she said. "I understand okay? You're trying to take away his bending! It's part of who he is!" Katara said. I walk over to her, placing my hand on her shoulder. "That is enough, Katara... she must have a reason to do what she's doing" I said.

"Your friend here is right, earth-bending here is forbidden. His father got taken away by the fire-benders" she said. My eyes widened at what she said. Fire-benders... of course it has to be them! I mean... who else acted so cruel besides them?

I hear a knock on the door. Sokka walks towards it and take a peak. "Fire Nations! Act normal!" He said. I just pretend to show Katara something, as Haru is next to me as well.

The door opens to reveal the Fire Nation. "What do you want? We've paid last week" she said. "The price have been doubled. We wouldn't want to have a little accident now, would we?" He said. I clench my hand into a tight fists. Aang places a hand on my shoulder to calm me down.

Haru's mom gave him money. "You can keep the copper ones..." he said, dropping the money on the floor. Then he walks out of the shop. Haru's mom bend down to grab all the money.

"Nice guy..." Sokka said. I glare at him, making him flinch and looks away from me instantly. I roll my eyes and turn to Haru's mother.

Night Time

It is now night time. Haru leads us to a shed. "You guys can stay here. But mom wants you to leave first thing tomorrow..." he said. "Don't worry... I'll make sure Appa didn't eat all the hay" Aang said. I turn my head to see Appa as he eats the hay. He turns to look at him and stops chewing for a couple of seconds. He turns away and starts to chew again. I let out a soft giggle.

I lay down on the hay. My hand starts fiddling with the b/n plush absentmindedly, while the other one is behind my head. I have to try to be stronger than I am now. So I don't have to lose anymore of my love ones. I turn to my side and close my eyes. I curl up into a ball and let myself drift off to sleep.

*to be continued*