Chapter 59

Previously on Chapter 58

"Ugh!" I turn to look at what Aang is staring at. A smoke is seeping out of the pipe in a bison's mural mouth. "Ew!" I said, gagging. "I'm sure some part of the temple are still the same" Katara said, trying her best to comfort us. I just give her a small smile, even though my heart is thumping painfully against my chest. Everything is so different now.

-The One Thing-

Y/N P.O.V

I turn my head away from the smokes that comes out from the pipes. I notice the statues of the monks not far from me. I smile and gently give Aang a soft nudge. He turns to look at me. I point to the statues, making him smile happily.

"It's nice to see that at least one part of the temple that isn't ruined..." he said, making me nod my head in agreement. We continue to look at the statue, with a calm feeling.

"Look out!!" Someone yelled. Suddenly, the statue is knocked down by a wrecking ball and we cover our heads. I turn my head and gasp when I stare at the rubbles. Dust is coming from the statues, making us cough. I turn my head to see 6 men standing where the statues used to be.

"What the doodle? Don't you know enough to stay away from construction sites? We have to make room for the bathhouse" a man said. I let out a scoff at what he said. You've got to be kidding me.

"Do you know what you did?? You just destroyed something sacred! For a stupid bathhouse!" Aang yelled. "Well, people around here are starting to stink" the man said. I growl angrily.

"This WHOLE place stinks!!" I yelled, finally had enough after seeing how this place have changed. Aang use his bending to flip the crane contraption off the edge to of the building.

"This is a sacred temple! You can't treat it this way!" Aang yelled. "We've seen it when the monks were here! We know what it's supposed to be like!!" I yell angrily. "The monks? But, you two are twelves" he said.

"Dad, they're the Avatars. They used to come here a hundred years ago..." Teo said. Aang take a few steps towards the mechanist. The man take a couple steps backwards.

"What are you doing? Who said you could be here?" He said. "Hmm... doing here. A long time ago, but not a hundred years. My people becomes refugees. After a terrible flood. My infant son, Teo was badly hurt and lost his mother. I need somewhere to re-build and stumbled across this place. Couldn't believe it! Everywhere! Pictures of flying people! But empty, nobody home. Then, I came across this fan-like contraption!" He said. "Our gliders..." Aang said, in a monotone voice.

"Yes! Little light flying machines!" He said. "These aren't machine..." I said. "Right... anyway. They gave me an idea. Build a new life for my son, in the air! Then everyone will be on equal ground. So to speak. We're just in the process of improving upon what's already here. And, after all, isn't that what nature does?" He said. "Nature knows where to stop" Aang said, bitterly.

"I suppose that's true. Unfortunately, progress has a way of getting away from us..." he said. I raise an eyebrow at him. He turns his head. "Oh! Look at the time! Come! The pulley system must be oiled before dark" he said, gesturing the candle.

"Wait, how can you tell the time from that thing? The notches all look the same" Sokka said, looking confused. "The candle will tell us, look!" He said. We watch as the candle makes 4 popping sounds.

"You put spark powder in the candle!" Sokka said, looking excited. "Four flashes. So it's exactly four hours mid-day. Or, as I call it; four o'candle!" He said, making Sokka laugh. The man smile at him.

"If you like that, wait until you see my finger-safe knife sharpener. Only took me three tries to get it right" he said. My eyes widened when he takes those off and toss it at Sokka, who caught it in his hands. "Aaahhh!!!" Sokka screamed in horror, throwing them in the air and hides behind me. I let out a chuckle at him and shake my head.

The mechanist poke Sokka with the remaining finger in his back. He gestures him to come. "Follow me!" He said, turning around to walk away. Sokka runs to chase after him.

I let out a sigh and look down. Nothing is the same in this place. They changed everything. This place is suppose to be the symbol of our people. I feel tears brimming in my eyes. I feel a hand gently slipping into mine. I turn my head to see Aang.

He gives me a weak smile. "Come here, sis" he said, wrapping his arms around me. I bury my face into the crook of his neck, letting out silent sobs. He rubs my back gently, trying to comfort me. But I can feel his sadness radiating off of his body.

"Hey, Y/N Aang. I want to show you something" I hear Teo said. I pull away and turn to him. He smiles and begins to wheel away. Aang and I look at each other. He just wraps his arms around my shoulder, as we start to follow Teo to... wherever he's going.

***

We are now walking through the corridor. "I still can't get over it... there's not a single thing that's the same" Aang said. I reach over and grab his hand. I give it a gentle squeeze, making him give me a weak smile.

"I don't know that. The temple might be different but the creatures that live here are probably direct descendants of the ones who lived here a long time ago" Teo said, as he picks up a hermit crab, handing it to Katara.

"You're right. They're kind of keepers of the temple's origins" Katara said, handing the hermit crab to me. I stare at the hermit crab as it moves back and forth on my palm. I smile softly and giggle at the tickling sensation. "Besides, there's one part of the temple that hasn't changed at all" Teo said.

***

We are now standing in front of a giant door. Back in our home, this room suppose to be where the statues of the Avatars is located. But I don't know about this one.

"Hey, it's just like the in on the other temple!" I hear Katara said. I just stare at the door in front of me. "Only an air-bender can open it. So inside it's completely untouched. Just the way the monks left it. I've always wondered what it's like in there..." Teo said.

Katara turns to Aang and I. "Aang? Y/N?" She said. I just look down. "I'm sorry..." I said. "This is the last part of the temple that's the same as it was. We want it to stay that way..." Aang said, knowing what I want to say.

"I completely understand. I just wanted you to know that it's here..." Teo said, smiling softly. Even though he said he's okay with it, I can tell he isn't. I can hear the disappointment in his voice. I let out a sigh and turn to look at the door once again. At least...

One thing hasn't changed

*to be continued*