Chapter Eleven | Best Friend |

Mr. Keating's English class was taken outside for the day. They were all in a straight line, Elle made sure she had Meeks and Kara on either side of her to avoid Charlie.

Though she highly doubted he would even try standing near her, since they've been avoiding each other like the plague, but taking precautions couldn't hurt.

Mr. Keating had Pitts, Knox, and Cameron walking around in circles, "no grades at stake gentlemen, just take a stroll."

"There it is," he started clapping along to the beat their clicking shoes made, soon the rest of the class joined along.

"I don't know what I've been told-" he started, waiting for everyone to repeat him.

"Doing poetry is cold."

He joins the boys in marching chanting 'left, left, right, left' until eventually telling them to stop. "Thank you gentlemen."

The three boys returned to the line their classmates formed, while Mr. Keating addresses the class. "If you noticed everyone started off with their own stride, their own pace."

He walks back over to the three, "Mr. Pitts taking his time, he knew he'll get there one day." he pointed towards him before pacing again.

"Mr. Cameron, you could see him thinking 'is this right? It might be right. It might be right, I know that- maybe not, I don't know'." He mimicked Cameron.

As usual this got a snort of laughter from Elle, but seeing Camerons horrified face only made it so much more funny. She held onto her stomach, leaning against Meeks for stability and giggling uncontrollably. Kara would say more cackling than giggling but Elle would deny that.

Charlie watched her laughing with a soft smile. He felt guilty about the night before knowing his cheap shot was a jerk move. He wanted to do as Neil said and fix it, but he wasn't sure how or if he could.

Knox subtly nudges Charlie in the ribs. He coughs, looking at him in annoyance.

"You're staring." He quietly hummed, not looking at Charlie.

"I am not staring." Charlie denies still rubbing his now sore ribs. Knox lets out a scuff of laughter and Charlie glares at Knox for being too loud.

"Glad to know I'm not the only one crushing on a girl. Granted I didn't mess up as bad as you did." For this Charlie took his turn elbowing Knox in the ribs.

"Crap Charlie! At least she forgave you, got a decent chance now, right?" Charlie ignores him, focusing back on the lesson.

He didn't feel like explaining to Knox that he managed to mess up again.

Knox watched as Charlie avoided answering him and his face fell. "What'd you do now, Charlie?"

Charlie looked back at Elle, watching as she continued playing around with Meeks. "It doesn't matter anymore."

Before Knox could question Charlie further Mr. Keating continued on with his lesson.

"Mr. Overstreet, driven by a deeper force, yes we know that." He mocks the way Knox was walking and everyone laughed.

"Now, I didn't bring them up here to ridicule them, I brought them up here to illustrate the point of conformity. The difficulty of maintaining your own beliefs in the face of others," he declared.

"Now those of you, I see the look in your eyes like, 'I would have walked differently'. Well ask yourselves why you were clapping?" He noted, walking around everyone.

"We all have a great need for acceptance, but you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own. Even though others may think them odd or unpopular, even though the herd may go 'that's ba-a-a-a-ad'." He imitates a sheep.