3: A Fresh Start

The morning breeze was cool and refreshing. Jun shuddered a little at the draft before refocusing on the bowl of hot miso soup in front of him. 

"You really like traditional Japanese food, huh." Jun commented absentmindedly. He had expected something a bit more western as those places were open earlier. Dabi had surprised him with the traditional breakfast. 

The villain just nodded. "I grew up in a very traditional family, if you can believe that." He said with a smirk. He was right, it was pretty unbelievable. 

"I'm believing a lot of things I wouldn't normally these days." Jun said, staring out the window of the tiny restaurant. 

"Speaking of that-Mr. Nagano!" Dabi called out, turning to face away from the door. The man who had been shuffling around the open kitchen came out from the back of the restaurant. He was tall-around 6'4 and broad too. Probably in his 50's, grey hair tattoos and two ram like horns that were much bigger than Jun's. Overall he was intimidating. Very intimidating. Not that Jun was gonna show it. 

"What is it?" The man, presumably Mr. Nagano, asked roughly. Dabi just rolled his eyes. 

"I'm sure you can spare some time to talk to me. I wanted to introduce you to the league's newest acquisition." The villain said, nodding to Jun. 

Mr. Nagano seemed to stare at him for a second, his gaze harsh and stern but not necessarily cold. "You think he'll make it running with your group? Won't the handy man turn him to dust?" He asked Dabi, a disbelieving smile on his face. 

"He took down Compress last night and dealt with Toga this morning, he'll be fine. Probably. You're his first introduction to the underground." Dabi explained. He then turned to Jun and gestured to Mr. Nagano. "This old bastard used to kill people daily for a yakuza that went off the rails 10 years ago. He's the real deal, an old style villain.".

Jun swallowed, trying to process that information. "Are you going to make me fight him too?" He asked, only half joking. Both men burst out laughing, shaking their heads in disbelief. 

"You've got moxie kid, I'll give you that." Mr. Nagano said. "The test he's trying to pull on you is really to see if you can handle being surrounded by criminals. He's tried this with a lot of kids around your age, so far you and that psycho girl are the only ones to pass.". Jun released a breath he didn't know he was holding. Pure relief washed through him. 

As much as the man looked aged, Jun was confident he wouldn't be able to take him even with his quirk. He didn't even know what the old man's quirk was. Hell, even if he was quirkless Jun wouldn't take his chances. 

"Finish your food, the boss is calling a meeting." Dabi said, putting his phone back into his coat pocket. 

-------- ----- ---------- ---------- ------------ ----------- ---------- ---------- 

"So, our next big action will be targeting a training camp for U.A's first years." Kurogiri explained, standing behind the bar. Jun couldn't help but notice that there were less people here today than there were last night. Maybe not everyone is participating? If they weren't he was pretty excited to be included in the smaller group. He felt...wanted. 

He liked that feeling.  

"Compress, Moonfish, Spinner, you guys are one squad." Kurogiri explained. "Muscular, you're on your own.". The blonde body-builder looking man that gave Jun and off vibe nodded with a smile. 

"Toga, do you want backup in getting as much blood as possible or are you alright on your own?" He asked. Toga smiled. "I want free reign!" She answered happily. The smoke villain nodded.